Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Default GUI libraries C++

Are there any GUI libraries that come default on either windows 7 or Dode::Blocks? I want to (eventually) make Game and programs like notepad or Microsoft word (don't know what those kinds are called) but I'm terrible at installing libraries, so i was hoping there were default ones so I wouldnt have to.

jaywash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Default GUI libraries C++

Most libraries come in 2 parts, the standard runtime library, and the development library. Runtime libraries are what are used by end-users for actually running programs, while development libraries are what developers use to create GUI programs.

Windows usually does not come with development libraries installed. I don't know about Code::Blocks, as I've never used it.

If all you want to do is create Windows based GUI programs like Microsoft Word, I'd recommend looking into Visual Studio and MFC. Visual Studio usually installs all the required libraries for you. MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) contains a whole bunch of useful functions and classes that can assist in creation of GUIs.

If you want to create cross-platform programs (that will run on *nix/Mac/Etc), then you'll want to use OpenGL (and an OpenGL based GUI creation framework) or Java.
All the world's a computer, and all the men and women merely AI agents...
Bucky24 is offline   Reply With Quote