Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Compiling problem

Well, this is more/less a problem, but by posting here i know people who know waht they are doing can help me out.

I use a Java compiler called Textpad. When i try to compile (so i can test run the program), i get an error message saying "The System Cannot Find the file Specified" Up on the title bar, it paths to the C:Windows\system32\javac.exe

I use this program at school, so i looked in that location on their comptuers and that file does not exist! its not even hidden!

I have tried every possable combo of uninstalling/reinstalling both java (from sun's website) and the compiler.

any ideas on what i could do to get this to work?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Compiling problem

Are you downloading the SDK or just the JRE. You need the SDK.

Lightning_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva

there is a workaround for this. Whats happening is when the jdk was installed, assuming you downloaded it from https://sdlc5d.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...FA88EB03873843
it's not putting it in the system32 folder, which would make it a generally consumable application. It's still in the java folder, so what you need to do is tweak textpad a little bit.
Steps:
1.) Open textpad ( I assume 4.1xx version)
2.) Click on configure at the top
3.) Click on preferences
4.) Click on tools
5.) Click on add
6.) Select program from the Drop Down List
7.) Navigate to the javac file located at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\javac.exe (usually) and click open
8.) at the bottom click apply
9.) close out of the window and repeat steps 2-4
10.) now select the textpad default option of compile java
11.) copy the regulare expression field and paste it into the Javac you created

basically make sure everything but the commandName match, and then use that tool you created and problem solved.
The same thing goes for running the java application once it's compiled. Only the path would be C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\java.exe Assuming you have the latest edition of the java runtime environment.
Daeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Beta Member

I followed all the steps but i dont understand step 10 -11 what does regulare expression mean?
naveedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva

in step 10, I assumed that your version of Textpad came with a default "Compile Java" option. What I was referring to was to highlight that option in the left pane of the preferences window, and copy the regular expression field(which is found towards the middle of the window under the heading: "Regular Expression to match output". If you don't have this "Compile Java" option, or you can't find what i'm referring to, this is the regular expression:
Code:
^\(\(\(.[^:]\)\|\([A-Za-z]:\)\)[^:]+\):\([0-9]+\):
You place that string under the "Regular Expression to match output" heading in the new program you added. pm me if you still have trouble getting it to work for you.
Daeva is offline   Reply With Quote