Compilers for C++ and Flash

Thanks :) Although it is taking alot more time than it told me it would(estimated time was 7 min but now I'm downloading it and it says 2h 6min)

Okay, it is taking forever to download, so I may not use greenfoot... yet.
However, at my school, when I click on Adobe Flash a menu pops up and it
has a couple versions of actionscript, and then (one of) java. (It also has Flash). So anyway, do I need anything like a compiler or something to program at the java/actionscript at my school? Because I am not sure
if they will let me install one onto a school computer :)

P.S. which is better, actionscript or java?

Actionscript and Java are two very different things - you can't really compare them too logically. Do some reading up if you want to understand the full differences, but let's just say actionscript is a scripting language mainly used for flash work, and Java is a fully fledged programming language that can code everything from small applets to enterprise level applications.

Chances are you don't have the JDK installed at school, but just the JRE - the JRE is the standard runtime environment nearly everyone has installed (since you need it to run Java apps.) On the other hand, the JDK is the development kit containing the compiler and suchlike that you need to build Java programs. If there's no use for it, they won't have installed it. Head over to C:\program files\Java (or wherever Java is installed) and search for a folder starting with jdk (not jre), if it's not there then you don't have it.

What you can do if you want to develop at school is download the JDK at home, copy the entire prorgam files folder onto a pendrive and then run javac from there. Haven't tried it personally, but it might work.

Incidentally, how long is Greenfoot taking to download?! It does it in a few seconds for me!

It says 3 hours on the thing that says time left, but it took 1 hour to get to %9.
And then I turned off my computer, because I needed to go somewhere (for around 8 hours) and didn't want the computer to overheat while I was gone.
I'm not quite sure why this is, but I know of a place with good wi-fi and may go there to try to install it.
Also, It's not Greenfoot that is taking a long time, it's the JDK that is taking along time. Greenfoot only took 20 minutes
to download.

I'm not quite sure why this is
It's because your connection looks to be hideously slow.

Greenfoot's only 6MB, that takes a few seconds for me. Judging by that rate of speed then yes the JDK will take hours since it's ~50MB!

Only solution would be to leave your computer on to download it (overnight for example) or as you said already, go to a place with a decent connection speed.

I'll probably be downloading it @ that place tommorrow (on saturday).
Also, if I want to program with notepad and greenfoot I don't need to
download another type of JDK, do I?
thanks for all the help so far :)

If you want to program with notepad and the JDK you don't need Greenfoot. But you'll need the JDK before you can compile any Java programs (and Greenfoot needs the JDK to operate.)

I have not downloaded it yet (I was kind of buisy), but I am designing graphics for a game I am going to create in it when I get it and I was wondering...

-do they need to be a certain size? my tiles are all 16 by 16, but I want my main character to be 24 by 12... is this okay or would it not work? (first number is height second is width).

-is it hard to make the character be able to jump?

-also, if I use java does this game have to be played on the web or can I make it so that you can download it?

do they need to be a certain size? my tiles are all 16 by 16, but I want my main character to be 24 by 12... is this okay or would it not work? (first number is height second is width).
That's fine - you can easily stretch the images in Greenfoot directly if you need / want to.

is it hard to make the character be able to jump?
Nope. There's a worksheet here explaining things in a clear way if you have difficulty.

also, if I use java does this game have to be played on the web or can I make it so that you can download it?
Nope, it doesn't have to be played online. You can create a direct jar file / html page from Greenfoot itself to distribute, and if you want to enable it others can download your code to run on the gallery as well.

What I was saying is that I've already made a character, and then I copied it and re-sized it; however, it doesn't look good when it is 16 by 16 only when it's 24 by 12. Not that I am having trouble re-sizing it.

Back
Top Bottom