Comparison of Programming Languages

As far a I am aware that quote is wrong.
PHP is not faster than ASP because ASP is interperated by a DLL that is loaded into the resident memory when the server starts. PHP is interperated by a binary excecutable.
(although there is a DLL version available for the IIS platform)
PHP certinly is not faster than ASP.NET because ASP.NET is compiled to a native Byte code. (the same as Java) which brings me to the next point, it can't be the fastest because Java is faster than PHP (as it's compiled to Byte Code).

The next comment could be me misunderstanding the comment but...
the authour of the comment completly misunderstood javascript.
He compares the Server Side PHP language to the Client Side Javascript lanuguage and says it's faster? yet ther is no comprisson.

Thanks for the info, root. I'll look into the speed bit. Chances are it's just his opinion ;)

I've compiled a bit of a list for Delphi. Most of these points came from a Delphi textbook that was written a couple of years ago, so they could be incorrect now, but I don't think that these particular points would have changed. I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with the language.

Delphi
Delphi is, at heart, a Pascal compiler. It was designed to be a visual rapid application development environment without the limitations of other similar products. Delphi was the first to combine a visual development interface, an optomising native-code compiler, a scalable database access engine and other features.

Pros:
- Rapid development environment that is very fast to make programs in.
- Easy to learn and program in.
- Faster compiler than many other languages
- Powerful database architecture that can be changed if desired
- Solid OO Design encouraged, helping to keep code clean.

Cons:
- Visual Studio's interface is more customisable.
- VB can edit code while in Debug mode but Delphi can't.
- Compiled code is slightly slower than (good) C and C++ compilers'
- No operator overloading

delphi is pretty awesome...
just to correct myself. as well as the php4sapi dll (and php5sapi.dll) there is also dll support for apache under windows.
php4apache / php4apache2.dll (and php5apache now).
and PHP can of course run as a module under Linux/apache. - even so the script still have to be loaded and interperated which is still slower (overall) that the byte compiled java / .Net languages) - Although admitidly the JIT compilled languages do take more time the first time they are run.
Personally I think the best bit about PHP has the be the amount of support for everything there is.
drawing functions, file funtions, database connectivity (out-of-the-box) for just about any popular database (MSSQL MYSQL Oracle PostgreSQL)

NeoNemesis on another forum wrote this for QBasic (Which I didn't even know was still around, so there you go. It's apparently up to version 7.1 and now includes a compiler).

Quick Basic
Quick Basic is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Pros:
-Extremely Easy to learn
-Somewhat flexible as to what you can do
-Also somewhat powerful as to what you can do
-Can be compiled into a .exe file for use with other systems and can be used as a stand-alone program

Cons:
- You can't do as much with it as the other languages.

By 'Somewhat flexible and powerful' I assume that it's not particularly :D

Back
Top Bottom