CMD help

RPressler

Solid State Member
Just wondering how you change directories, etc. to folders with a space in the name.

When I try this code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings

or

cd C:\Program Files

I get an error saying "Cannot find directory: C:\ Program" or "Cannot find directory: C:\Documents"

Halp anyone? =)

You need quotes around anything with spaces. When you do it your way, for example "and" as well as "Settings" are interpreted as commands.

cd "C:\documents and settings"

This will make windows interpret it all as one thing.

You need quotes around anything with spaces. When you do it your way, for example "and" as well as "Settings" are interpreted as commands.

cd "C:\documents and settings"

This will make windows interpret it all as one thing.

Yes, or you can use cd C:\progra~1 :eek:

I think one of the most useful overlooked tools is just the autocomplete. If you're typing a really long directory name, just type the first few letters and hit tab.

oh sweet jesus freestyler... that is amazing... i love that one... duely noted. and thank you all. <3 much.

DJ-CHRIS,
Thanks for answering my question, and that list is definately going to be very useful in the future. Props =)

freestyler105,
That's absolutely awesome and I never knew that. That's going to help me alot in the future =)

David Lindon,
Thanks for helping man. Although that command could use some clearing up :) It's good that you listed it, but what exactly does it do? Is there a certain syntax to it that can be used for other directories?

Thanks again all,
Richard

If you type cd .. It takes you a directory back . If you type cd [space] the hit tab to toggle through folders in your current directory (p.s if this helps pleeze gimme some credit i dont like being a noob)

Back
Top Bottom