Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to BGates14
Default C++ learning from books

I am taking a class in C++ in school, however my teacher leaves november, and if we don't get a replacement we just do nothing so I'm trying to get as far as possible with his help or make most of the class. So I decided to on the side teach myself so I can get the most out of it.

I baught these too books: Wiley's Teach Yourself C++ 7th Edition and Beginning C++ Through Game Programming Second Edition

Which one should I start with? I am thinking the first one because it goes through C first, and then goes into C++ and get you more familiar with the language and everything it does. However, I got the through game programming so that I am creating things and that can show me what I can do while I learn it. What is your opinion on which book I should start with? Is there anything else I should consider starting with? Or does anyone have any tips?

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/267921
BGates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: C++ learning from books

I don't know the books. I have not Googled either to learn what they are about.

What I can, and will tell you is this: C and C++ are two different languages. It is technically unnecessary to learn C before C++. That would be like learning two different forms of English just to learn common English.

Go directly for the C++ book and read away. Yes, C++ was created as an improved version of C, although the syntax is not exact and therefore unnecessary to learn in most cases.

Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

Mambug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to BGates14

Thanks, I don't think it teaches me C per say, but it introduces me to it and teaches people who are new to C++ / programming all together what it is and how it works, and then gets into C++ I guess, I'll find out soon but yeah.

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/267921
BGates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Baseband Member

The O'Reilly books are generally pretty good, unfortunately according to the customer reviews on Amazon.com the O' Reilly Practical C++ Programming, Second Edition has a handful of editing slip-ups.
novacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Baseband Member

If the C book introduces you into the language of programing and it's system of how it works and what-nots it may be useful. Once you know the basis of programming the rest is generally easy. It's just remembering the little stuff that will kill you.

Like in Java; system.out.print is different from System.out.print.
Mambug is offline   Reply With Quote