C++

Dan1

Solid State Member
Hey all,

Do any of you know of a good C++ book that contains mainly just tutorials and examples of programs.

I'm pretty familiar with the language, I just think I could learn some tricks of using loops, if/else, etc. by reading and coding from a book such as this.

Why do you want to waste your money on a book Dan1? There are so many free tutorials and free lines of code out on the internet. Save your coinage and stock up on some Electric Blue Jolt and read some free material. :)

Best bet would be to think of something cool to make and to make it; then try and make it with less code in the actual application.

The Library would have free Books; MSDN has a whole lot of Samples if you get the Library with 2005 which is currently free because its Beta 1. There are thousands of sites as thrice said and if you're looking for large applications you can download Application Source Code to look through on SourceForge.

TO ANSWER HIS QUESTION; a good book is the one I learned from, called Sams "Learn C++ in 24 hours". It's really good and you can get it at borders or barnes and nobels in the tech part.

Be wary of older books - the language has been revised recently.

If the book says #include <iostream.h> like one I've got does, it's out of date. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, but be aware of it.

edit: turns out me and zodiak have the same book :) it's pretty good, covers all the basics.

zodiak said:
Also, if in the "Hello World program, it says just "cout", it's out of date. It should say std::cout now
Really??

I'm currently learning from a book called "Structured and Object Oriented Problem Solving in C++" by Andrew Staugaurd. It's pretty good and I've almost finished reading it. It comes with Visual C++ 6.0 . It's copyrighted in 2002 and it always uses "cout" in some of the sample code instead of std::cout. So it was recently changed to this format, right?

Anyway, thnx for the help guys. It doesn't neccesarily have to be from a book...anything good from the internet will do fine. I'd also be interested in that e-Book zodiac. If you still have it that'd be great.

Back
Top Bottom