best c++ compiler

computer_tom

Baseband Member
best c++ ide

i wanted to know if and what people think of dif compilers. i have dev++ but was questioning the ease of it, any ideas? please tell of all you ideas of both well known and leser known compilers :)

I think you're confusing "compiler" and "IDE".

An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is basically a text editor with bells on, allowing you to type in your code, see the syntax highlighting, and hit a button to debug and run it. The compiler is strapped on the back, all it does is convert the code into something the computer can understand and run for you.

You can basically use any compiler with any IDE. The standard compiler with Dev-C++ is MinGW, but there's Microsoft alternatives, or another freeware compiler called GCC, which is widely used.

Hope that helps, if you have any further questions please ask.

Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based compiler.

First line of their site.

The GNU compiler, GCC. Since it's standard across all *Nix platforms and best of all. Free.

Back
Top Bottom