Any other SQL or MS Access / OleDb databases available?

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I'm working through the lessons at Programmer's Heaven's "C# School" tutorial (http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/Les_CSharp_0), and I'm currently on lesson 13, "Data Access in .Net using ADO.Net", so of course I've been trying to connect to Programmer's Heaven's SQL and MS Access / OleDb databases. Unfortunately, they're now offline. Can anyone please tell me; are there other such databases available for those learning ADO to practice connecting to?

Something I would do if I were you... I would install my own, MySQL, SQL, and maybe even Oracel Database... Those are the highest in demand if I remember correctly...

for development with c# and integration with Visual Studio, your best bet is to download MSDE (or thats what it was formerly called).

Depending on your Visual Studio installation, you may already have SQL Express installed, that is ok. This gives you a nice gui to manage multiple databases and it's the same interface (with less features) of Sql Server 2005. Once you download this, there are many sample applications and sample databases that you can install and play with.

Here is the link to download SQL Server 2005 Express:
Express

Here is the link for the sample databases and applications to install:
Databases

I love this stuff, if you have any questions about ADO.NET, just ask. :D

Daeva:

I have Visual C# 2008 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express already installed. Are you saying that I may also have sample databases already installed?

You may have some installed already yes. Also available on that site are sample databases for SQL 2008, although there shouldn't be a huge difference between the 2005 and 2008 databases. If you have the Sql Server 2008 management studio express installed, you should be able to locate them, if not, they are a free download.

Back
Top Bottom