Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #21
Site Team
Default Re: 11-year old mediocre programmer

Originally Posted by Johnwalton View Post
It's made in a primarily graphic interface, and is very basic. You would be /much/ better off learning C++, as it gives you a better idea of how other languages work in my opinion
Are you sure you're thinking of C?! Sounds to me like a completely different language - one very different to C!

Originally Posted by hamalnamal View Post
True, but that's why I think C forces good habits. Other languages baby you, but in C you have to be conscious of good practices, otherwise not even you will be able to make heads or tails of your code and why it's not working as it should.

I don't think C is something to code in for years before you progress to another language, but it helps you understand the underlying structure behind the things it doesn't have (as you have to make it yourself if you want it).
Not really - a lot of the time you'll be just tempted to ignore the memory issues that crop up every few runs rather than dealing with them.

Even if it does, it would only show good habits for procedural languages - for all others it would be bad. So it's not really good for teaching any modern language like Java, C#, etc., the conventions and style of programming in these are very different.

Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote