System Specifications:
Intel Pentium 4 630 processor @ 3.00GHZ
One gigabyte SD DDR2 RAM
eVGA 7600GT KO
160gigabyte Seagate hard drive

So far so good. I really love it.

A little confusing at first with the menu's

And this tile feature is amazing...

So, where is started is that I downloaded the "Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser" Link to see just for fun how the computer would react to it, even though I was already dead set on upgrading. Even Microsoft says my computer is good enough, WOW! :rolleyes:

Anyways, moving on.

It gave me the reassurance I needed to do it.

So I popped in the DVD, and I DID NOT do a clean install. I just "upgraded" it.

I backed up everything just in case, but no need. Everything transfered flawlessly.

The actual performance is astonishing. I figured that it would be slow laggy, and I would want to downgrade to XP, again. That is certainly not the case. I've grown to liking it very much in the few hours I have actually used it. Smooth operation, appealing eye colors, and even changeable colors depending on personal preference. But nothing is glaring out at you, it is easy on the eyes; pleasing.

The final verdict: Home Premium is the best bet for any user here. Basic is... Basic. It is for low end computers, and for users who just do word processing, web browsing and email. Thats about it. Business is well, business, and Ultimate is pretty much strictly for large companies and corporations, which the average, and even more advanced user would never use all the features of. A waste of money in my opinion. Home Premium is the best for your money.

Edit-

As for gaming, I can tell a difference in games. Area 51, plays noticeably, "different, whilst Fable is rendered unplayable. Both games on Max quality.

Looks like another gig of ram would be in order.

Amen!

My experience also..........I really like Vista and would never go back to XP.
I have 2GB RAM..........best way to go with Vista IMHO.

NOTE: I did a clean installation on both my Vista machines..........just don't like the potential problems than could occur by just an upgrade.

As for gaming, I can tell a difference in games. Area 51, plays noticeably, "different, whilst Fable is rendered unplayable. Both games on Max quality.

Looks like another gig of ram would be in order.

well you've got the nvidia drivers to thank for that :)

Haha, this is the first good review of Vista I've seen so far. Well I'm glad Microsoft didn't totally screw everything up.

First good review, but not the first good comments about it on this forum. I to like it, but i'm going to get Ulitmate when i get the money. Oh, i can't wait.

First good review, but not the first good comments about it on this forum. I to like it, but i'm going to get Ulitmate when i get the money. Oh, i can't wait.

What are you doing that you need Ultimate?

I was joking with my friends that I'd get Vista Ultimate just because I thought the black box looked cooler than Premium's blue box, for those who bought the retail version, what material is the box? just plain cardboard?

I was joking with my friends that I'd get Vista Ultimate just because I thought the black box looked cooler than Premium's blue box, for those who bought the retail version, what material is the box? just plain cardboard?

Home Basic = Cheap @$$ cardboard
Home Premium = Pewter
Business = Titanium
Ultimate = Kryptonite

So yea it's worth it to get the Ultimate version.......... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom