Various parts

ownage

Fully Optimized
So I waited to write a review after my computer was finished and now that it is...I'll review each part that I used.

First off the motherboard: DFI ICFX3200TR2/G

While this motherboard isn't as fast as other clock for clock, it offers an immense amount of tweaking options. While this may seem too much for some people, others like me like tweaking each setting to find the best performance. Be aware that the chipset on this motherboard is very small and fragile and crushing the core is very easy.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

The E6600 is quite the processor. Good bang for the buck and uses the uarch of the best processors on the market right now.

RAM: CellShock DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15

CellShock is made my MSC in Germany. Although it runs at the slower 5-5-5-15 timings, it uses the notorious Micron D9GKX chips which allow very high overclocking and they scale very well with voltage. It uses a custom 8-layer PCB compared to the regular 6 layers. And the heatspreaders look damn cool too. You can tell that this is very high quality just by holding them in your hand.

Hard drives

I use both a 320GB WD and a 74GB raptor. While the 320GB is nice, the 74GB raptor is alright at best. The price for performance ratio for the Raptor is rather unappealing. The 320GB on the other hand is superb.

Power Supply: Silverstone ST75ZF

Very beefy and high quality built Etasis powersupply. Over 90% of the wattage is on the 12V rail so those worries are gone. Uses a fairly quiet 80mm fan. The cables are very long and sleeved up the first connector. However i wished they would sleeve all the cables. Be aware that this powersupply is longer than most so make sure your case can accomodate this beast.

Case: Lian Li V-1000b Plus II w/ Window

This case is by far the highest quality case that I have used to date. Its full brushed aluminum finish makes is look more industrial but it still retains its sleek looks. All the edges are rolled to prevent hurt fingers and wire management holes are already cut out. All optical and storage devices slide in with ease and comes with a special screwdriver to mount standoffs.

Video Card: AMD x1950pro

While this isn't a top of the line video card, it works quite well. Good price for a good card too. Comparable to a 7900GT. It plays most games at 1680x1050 on high settings. Overclocks like a dream too. Running 580/695 (core/mem) right now and temperatures are very good using stock cooler.

Water Cooling parts

Cathar G4

This waterblock is the predecessor to the Swiftech Storm. You can say that it is the original storm block. Good performance overall. But due to techology changes, other blocks now outperform it when used with an integrated heat spreader. But on bare die cases, it is untouched...unless it is the Silver G5.

MCW30

This block offers very low flow restriction while decent performance. But watch out for the hook mounting mechanism. It is a pain to mount. Look for a motherboard that uses a bolt through method.

Swiftech Micro Res

Very good high quality micro res that doesn't take up much room and offers the advantages of a resevoir. Easy bleeding and filling while being compact like a T-line.

DDC-1 w/ Petra's Top

The DDC+ is made by Laing and end users have replaced the top with a custom one to improve performance. Alex and Quoc over at Petra's Tech Shop have one top made out of delrin which makes the top resistant to corrosion and any kind of abuse. Very high quality and fairly inexpensive too while being made in the USA.

Thermochill PA 120.3

This radiator is superb. The best radiator money can buy for watercooling. Made in the UK for all you British people. It was designed by the person that introduced you to the Storm waterblock design. Basically the best radiator money can buy.

Nice man, I was wondering when you'd finish that beast. Definitely gonna have to OC the sh*t out of it. I bet you'd have no problem breaking 4GHz+ with the E6600.

I'm definitely gonna have to ask for your advice when I finally decide to get some water cooling...that probably won't be for a while though.

I'm keeping it at 3Ghz right now since the weather is starting to warm up. I'll see what I can do late at night with the window open :D

Oh, looks nice. Can I steal it? (Yes or no, you will not see it tomarrrow :))

I don't see a video card on there... Left out by accident, or are you using onboard video?

ooops...gotta fix that...i knew i was missing something. Thanks! Here is a quick 3DMark03 run for you unoptimized.

not bad man, not bad. I'll just steal that, throw in my video card, and we are all set :)

BTW, that score is the number one score on the ORB ;) But the drivers are not approved.

I think it's because he'll upgrade later. The X1950 Pro is just to keep things going for now.

Back
Top Bottom