Ubuntu Studio

Thelis

Golden Master
Today promptly at 10 AM there is a loud knock at my door. I open up, and on my doorstep a small brown package is lying. I pick it up and I realize what it is immediately.

I rip it open, and sure enough it is Ubuntu Studio, and OS I just ordered. I go over to my testing center (a very good Sony Vaio Laptop), open up the CD-Drive and start the installation process.

An hour and a half after, I reboot and am greeted with the Ubuntu Boot Screen which is a pleasant shade of black. I expected it to be just like Unbuntu Feisty fawn but it isn't. Instead the scheme is fully based on black and gray tones and looks very nice.

When I log in, and proceed to my desktop, I am again surprised. The desktop is incredibly simplistic, just like other Linux distros, but again the black shades prevail. Eagerly I connect to my wireless network, and to my great surprise, it works. Then I check out the Applications, and WOW! There is 14 Graphics editing applications and around 40 sound and Video editing apps. I start a random one up, understand almost none of it, and close it. It looked impressive.

The rest is not much different from other Ubuntus, but I find I prefer this one over them.

-Thel

Yes it is, you can download it from here:
http://ubuntustudio.org/

I got the CDs just because I like to have an already made copy so I can get straight down to installing it without worrying whether the dload worked or not.

Thank's for the review.

Is the OS you speak of now, the one in the desktop thread(black theme and all)

Also does this mean that their are 5 diffrent ubuntu version's/OS?
(eg is this 'offical' if that is the right wording)

++ also, KDE/GNOME does this version have it?

Well, there is unbuntu Edgy which is the one that came before Feisty Fawn. Then there is Feisty Fawn, and an offspring of it is this ubuntu studio. And yes this is the one in the desktop thread.

This operates on GNOME.

Just installed it now. I like it.:)

Installation was straightforward. Probably the easiest distro ive installed so far. Even partitioning for the OS was simple.

Im loving the new scheme aswell, it looks much better, and i like the startup screen.

Also worth mentioning that this is the only distro that i have been to install my Cisco wireless PCMCIA card straight out of the box. Im using it right now.:)

Istonian: I got it from On-disk.com it is a great website.

@Raffaz- I am glad that you like it.

Back
Top Bottom