Resident Evil 4 (PC)

alvino

Golden Master
Yes, it's on PC now. Apparently Ubisoft ported it directly from the PS2 version. If any of you ever played Resident Evil 4, it's a VERY fun game. Does this compare well to the console versions? We'll see.

Leon_S_Kennedy.jpg

Graphics: Compared to current PC and console gaming standards, the graphics look rather horrible. Unfortunately, this is a direct port, so all you can do is really change the resolution and aspect ratio. There are no options to tweak or improve the graphics. Of course, the graphics still look really good, but don't expect Crysis or Gears of War graphics. Remember, this was directly ported from the PS2 version.

Gameplay: The only thing I hate to say is that the porting was done very poorly. You may think that since this is for the PC, you could have the convenience of aim and click with the mouse and keyboard. The unfortunate thing is that there is NO mouse support. You either use the keyboard to move and aim or you use a gamepad for controls (which was no problem for me since I had my wired Xbox 360 controller). The good thing is that the gameplay is virtually unchanged. Everything from the way the AI acts to how you reload or how you run or just the astonishingly creepy environments look is the same from the Gamecube and PS2 versions. The sound is just as good. The music is very dynamic and fluctuates with the action. Calm moments will bring subtle and mellow music to your ears while tense firefights will bring clashing sounds. For a horror game, the gameplay doesn't get better than this. Doom 3 has nothing on Resident Evil 4. Period.

Value: The game is only about $20 and considering it is one of the best games ever made, I would consider it a good value. Of course, if you can, I would suggest buying the console versions over PC, but don't be ashamed to buy the PC version if you need to. The campaign is relatively short, but it is a Capcom game after all. When you're done with the campaign, additional mini-games will be unlocked. These take control of the female that you frequently encounter during the main campaign and you play missions that parallel with the main story. There are also quite a few things to unlock too, like the Infinite Launcher (do I really need to explain that?) or the Chicago Typewriter.

Conclusion: It's only $20, but you shouldn't expect too much from it. It's a lazy and lackluster port that fortunately retains the original gameplay. If you can, buy the Gamecube/PS2 version, leave the PC port as a last resort.

Graphics - 6/10
Gameplay - 10/10
Value - 7/10
Overall - 8/10

Are you serious...you can't use a mouse??
Let's go ahead and completely defeat the purpose of playing shooters on PC...

Haha, I suppose. Even with a gamepad, the game is still fun. I had a way better experience using a gamepad on Resident Evil 4 than playing with a mouse in Doom 3.

Maybe you can force AA and other nice effects with the NVIDIA forceware, like on HL-2 NVIDIA card can only get 4X AA but I can force and put 16xQMSAA with the control panel. Sucks u cant use a mouse =(

Hmm...maybe I'll check it out later, but right now I'm gonna take a look at DiRT. I just hope my X1800XT can run it decently..

Maybe you can force AA and other nice effects with the NVIDIA forceware, like on HL-2 NVIDIA card can only get 4X AA but I can force and put 16xQMSAA with the control panel. Sucks u cant use a mouse =(

Nope, you can't. It runs literally like a console game. Oh well.

Hmm...maybe I'll check it out later, but right now I'm gonna take a look at DiRT. I just hope my X1800XT can run it decently..

Haha, yeah I wanna try DiRT. Looks nice for a rally game.

I see I want DiRT top but ill get it from other sources hehe. lots of errors tho they already released the 1.1 patch haha.

I see I want DiRT top but ill get it from other sources hehe. lots of errors tho they already released the 1.1 patch haha.

Expected from a new game. At least it's not a bug-fest like STALKER. :p I'm serious...the patches for STALKER don't do shit. The game still sucks cause of the numerous bugs and glitches.

Back
Top Bottom