Labtec 5.1 speakers

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836117125

These are decent speakers for sub $40. They pump out 27 watts(sub is 15), and while that doesn't sound too loud, the can really pump out sound. They connect to your computer with 3 cables, one for front, one for rear, and one for center/sub. the rear speaker cable is black, while it connects to the gray port on my motherboard, which causes some confusion. The cords for each speaker are plenty long, about 8 feet (2.5 meters) each, I think. They rear speakers have longer cords, about 12 feet (4 meters). The speakers look nice, and fit well with any desk/computer.

The sound is pretty good for what you pay for. If you have a high end sound card, they will obviously sound very cheap, but for your average listener with on board 5.1 sound, they sound decent.

They have volume and bass control knobs on the back of the sub. It is an inconvenient place to locate them, as you have to get on hands an knees to change the volume, the bass level, or to unplug them. I keep my bass level on max, and it isn't terribly much bass. (Its the right amount on max, but you should expect that on 1/2 full level) There is no headphone port, but if your case has a headphones port, then that isn't a problem. Mine doesn't, so If I want to use headphones, I have to pull out my computer, unplug the green speaker cable, plug in my headphones, and then turn off the speakers so they don't make noise.

overall they get a 7.5/10
sound is a 8/10
features/quality is a 7/10

Update- Today, I mounted them on my ceiling with duct tape and staples (no mounting brackets). They still sound great, but now the cables seem a little short. Two of the front speakers need an extra couple feet of cable, but the rear speakers still have plenty of slack. The volume is still great, even at a greater distance, and now the sub seems a lot more powerful. I have the bass turned down a lot more now.

here is a picture of the mounted on my ceiling:
100_0563.jpg

yeah, and even though the room is very poorly designed as far as acoustics go, I have them eq'ed to sound pretty good, and having them mounted like that really adds to the 3d sound.

In a way though, having them mounted on the ceiling... aren't you loosing some of the 3D effect?

The best way to have speakers is ear level or close to.

In a way though, having them mounted on the ceiling... aren't you loosing some of the 3D effect?

The best way to have speakers is ear level or close to.

yea, a little, but they sound better than they did on my desk, becuase they are position right.

Back
Top Bottom