Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Review

Pro Street is nothing like any of the Gran Turismo games. I can't wait for the final version to come out.

I Just Finished class A,B and C,And i must say that it suprised me by unlocking Class S and A Special Quick tune mode.

When you race in Class S,You can use ANY Car,But it must have the same or less than that specified Power Points (Judged upon the cars Weight and power).You can adjust those power points by acsessing the quick tune feature,in that you can tune any aspect of your car!

I couldn'st stand Pro Street. I downloaded the demo, and it pretty much went into the bin straight away.

I have to say, this game has impressed me.

I've heard they'll be adding damage this year, and I'm also expecting other touch ups, for example, dirt, and markings on the tracks from skids, etc.

But the graphics, wow!

I didn't appreciate them as much, until I played Forza 2 on the XBOX 360 today, and realised that it is quite ahead of other games in terms of polygon counts. The cars in Forza 2 do not have half as many polygons it seems.

PGR 4 does have it in places graphically (alot more effects going on), but PGR has never really took itself to be a simulation. Its half way between a sim and an arcade racer.

But yeah, I've completed Class C and have just bought the Nissan to complete some challenges in Class B. Heck, the one lap courses, and the ones where you have to get a certain lap time are pretty hard.

Theres a few glitches, slow down being rather noticable but not enough to ruin the experience, and no AA (Antialising), from what I can tell, which does in some way ruin the realisticness. If they added for example 2xAA, the game would look a lot better (I am running on a 720p TV mind you)

Tearing I've seen quite a lot, and there doesn't seem to be any motion blur on the camera at all, and no Depth Of Field except when on a replay.
It'd be nice if the motion blurring and DOF was turned on while playing. It'd really increase the graphic fidelity. But, they have time to work on that, as I expect it would kill the framerate even more.

Cars though look fantastic, but are let down in places by over saturated highlights, but all in all, they have done a great job on the shaders.

Environments could be better. Thats where Forza 2 beats it, as the detailing isn't half as good on the tracks, but heck, it is a demo (sort of)

But yeah, I can't wait to see what they put into the final game.

What? I would have expected the states to have got it before us...
weird...

You have Rock Band though, and we don't until later on in April, so there :p

Haha well I picked it up last night. I played through all but one C class and tested out the online mode.

I thought it was sweet that as your racing time or drift trials each lap it announces your status so you know how you compare to the rest of the world. Also how it downloads what I'm assuming are record drifts etc that are displayed when you leave the screen idle for a bit.

I'll probably get all the classes finished that way I can play better events online. To bad I can't play you guys :(

Games a lot of fun so far although I don't like the fact you can't setup your own races its all match making unless I'm missing something. I kind of wanted to race some of my friends but it looks like it will be the luck of the draw.

A first though for the GT series there will be a patch out this summer rough est of September which is a damage patch. I guess they didn't want to wait till then to release the game so thats going to be sweet.

I had Auto Saved turned on last night, and bought the wrong car for a Class B race, and had to sell it, which gave me less than half back, so I'm now back, having to race earlier ones to get all the money back again :(

I can't wait for the damage patch too, thpough I haven't connected it online yet.
I also think a few more graphical fixes will be introduced.

Yeah,When i first got the game there was a large update whch fixed stability and a few graphical bugs,it change the verion from Grant Turismo Prologue,To Gran Turismo Proglogue Spec II.

I downloaded Prologue from the PS store. I've never played a GT game first, Prologue is my first, and so far, I'm very impresses at some things...not so much at others.

The tracks themselves, aren't that great looking (except for the one in Switzerland), especially the trees and the landscape. They actually look like something from a PS2 or even PS1 game..the trees are just flat :|. I was expecting something more here, especially after the reviews.

The cars, on the other hand, look photo realistic...absolutely stunning. Each one drives differently, and feels different, which makes each car you get a new experienced, so it's just something that's faster, it's something entirely new.

Online is below today's standards. You can't match up with friends, and you can't customize the event at all. I hope it's improved in GT5.

Also, I heard that in other GT games you could customize your cars. Why can't you here? This is supposed to be an EVOLUTION- something BETTER. As you can't customize, if you have the fast car in a race, and if you start off in first place, you will win, even if you're not that great of a driver.

Overall, the game is great fun, but there are some problems, as I mentioned. I think it's very overrated.

I downloaded Prologue from the PS store. I've never played a GT game first, Prologue is my first, and so far, I'm very impresses at some things...not so much at others.

The tracks themselves, aren't that great looking (except for the one in Switzerland), especially the trees and the landscape. They actually look like something from a PS2 or even PS1 game..the trees are just flat :|. I was expecting something more here, especially after the reviews.

The cars, on the other hand, look photo realistic...absolutely stunning. Each one drives differently, and feels different, which makes each car you get a new experienced, so it's just something that's faster, it's something entirely new.

Online is below today's standards. You can't match up with friends, and you can't customize the event at all. I hope it's improved in GT5.

Also, I heard that in other GT games you could customize your cars. Why can't you here? This is supposed to be an EVOLUTION- something BETTER. As you can't customize, if you have the fast car in a race, and if you start off in first place, you will win, even if you're not that great of a driver.

Overall, the game is great fun, but there are some problems, as I mentioned. I think it's very overrated.

I will agree with you on the online portion about no matching system. I wanted to play against my friends but its just basically the luck of the draw as is.

Don't forget this isn't the full game nor a finished product hence the prologue title.

There isn't a huge amount of detail around the track but honestly who is sight seeing at 200+mph. I'm not really looking at the trees that much.

Hopefully they will release a match making patch for this version and some other online features.

Just curious are you playing on a full 1080P screen?

I really like some of the online features and S class race features. It makes the game much harder when you can't bump into people or cut around certain corners since you'll get your car throttled back for so many seconds depending on how hard you hit the wall.

Once you unlock the quick tune feature its more fun since you can play around with some of the cars settings. Granted its not as in depth as GT4 but its better than nothing. Maybe a full tune update patch would be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom