GALAXY 8800GT 512MB review.

worshipme

Golden Master
Having had enough of my reference design XFX 8800GT with it's terrible cooler, I decided to look for a quiter, cooler GT. I picked up this card off Ebay for only £100 ($200): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190212172285&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

After a whole week of using an old GeForce 6200, I was relieved when the package turned up on my doorstep. I was a bit suprised when a found a KFA box though:

Here is the entire contents of the box, the card was reasonably well protected but no bundled software was included, just the driver CD:p :

Here is the card and the cooler, you can see that the fan rotates at a fixed speed:

Thankfully, I did get the Samsung 1.0NS RAM that I wanted so I should get some good OC results especially when I get some RAM sinks.
And a welcome suprise, I'd got the rev.3 of the Galaxy 8800GT which has the heatsink on the MOSFETS.

I have been running it for about 10 min and the card idles at 40c.

Overclocking results will come later.

Nice but my 8800gtx is better

Shame it cost twice as much for only 5% more performance though:D

Oops! Forgot to connect the two PCI-E power connectors;) .

Pffft! That's going in the bin:D .

First overclock settings:

I am counting on this card overclocking higher than my previous reference XFX 8800GT so I straight away entered my old card's overclock.
Let's see how it runs a couple of loops of 3DMark.

Well, I had high hopes for this card, but sadly they were not fulfilled. The display driver crashed after only 20sec of 3DMark at 700/1750/2000 and then the same thing happened after about a minute at 675/1675/1900. I achieved 100% stability at a measly 675/1675/1850, lower than my reference XFX. I am very dissapointed with the card's overclocking performance particulary due to the fact that the GPU core temp never exceeded 65c, a full 20c cooler than the reference design. I think that I could achieve much higher memory speeds with some heatsinks, but that doesn't make up for the poor core/shader overclocks. Of course, I could just be unlucky as many other have been reporting 750/1850/2200 from these cards.
Oh well, I have an EVGA 8800GTS 512MB coming in the post so not to worry.

Final overclock settings:

Conclusion:
If you're looking for a card with great overclocking potential, then judging by my experience with this card, this isn't for you. If however, you want a quieter, cooler card than the reference design. Then this is definitely a good choice.

EDIT: I have not tried the voltage jumper yet so there is hope still.

good review !
To bad you didnt get very far in your overclocking 8800 GTS are the best for overclocking

I'm going to try the voltage jumper now. I've got a GTS coming in the post anyway so if this doesn't work out then I'll just sell it and keep the GTS.

UPDATE: Wow, what an improvement! After changing the jumper, I've already been able to reach 750MHz core clock and a 1875MHz shader clock. I've not even finished yet. Fingers crossed for 800.
It's obvious the memory will require sinks before being overclocked. It's a bit of a shame that Galaxy didn't add some to the card anyway. It wouldn't have cost very much and would make a big difference OC'ing wise.

Well, it's a real turn-around for this card thanks to the very effective voltage jumper, I have managed to reach 760/1900 and GPU core temperature never exceeds 70c. I'm going to have another try at OC'ing the memory before I order some heatsinks.

I also just noticed that the PCB is slightly shorter than the reference card.

what difference does voltage jumper do?
if i do it to mine will i be able to go past 800mhz

and change ur sig now

It increases the core voltage by 0.1V. The jumper is unique to this card and your GTS won't have it.

I got the memory to 1000MHz (2000 effective). I'm going to wait for my GTS to arrive before buying some sinks.

Back
Top Bottom