Dragon Naturally Speaking vs Vista speech recognition

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Title read with Dragon: Dragon naturally speaking preferred 10 versus Windows Vista speech recognition
Phrases with Dragon will be bold
Title read with Vista: Dragon naturally speaking preferred 10 vs. windows Mr. Speech recognition
Phrases with Vista will be italicized

Common computer phrase:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Antidisestablishmentarianism
Antiochus establishmentarianism
And tried this establishmentarian is some

Well known movie quote (The Princess Bride)
Hello my name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die
Hello my name is Senator Montoya you could my father prepared to die

Favorite movie quote ever (Liam Neeson, Taken)
You don't remember me we spoke on the phone today sicko I Told You I Would Find You
You don't remember me we spoke on the phone two days ago

Gettysburg Address
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought Orth on this continent a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal

Overall, I like both programs. I tend to side with Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 better because in my opinion, it works better with web browsers and commands. Windows Vista speech recognition has its perks though. They are both great in my opinion however.

As you can see in my tests, they both make several mistakes. I trained well with both of these programs, but Dragon has a much more intensive training. There are several reading selections you can take part in, from easy reading such as excerpts from children's books, all the way up to novels such as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Because if this, Dragon received more training from me. This may seem biased, but keep in mind the mistakes both programs made.

Remember that most speech programs can't recognize symbols such as period, colon, comma, quote, exclamation on their own, so you have to literally say “period” to insert one.

In conclusion, if you can't afford a speech recognition program, but have Windows Vista, you can't go wrong by using it's built in speech recognition program. However, if you can afford another speech solution, Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred is the way to go.

I might do some more test phrases and words later on.

Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom