5 Best freeware alternatives!

Big brand software names can cost you BIG $$$,Many dont know that there are freeware alternatives that are the same,and in some instances better than the shop bought one!

This guide will show you the 5 best freeware programs around!

Coming in at number 5 is Windows Defender and AVG,This is actually 2 programs,but when both installed,Combined,They do the same thing as Norton Internet Security Suite (This software costs $70 US$,Price from the manufacturer's website)

Windows Defender is a Anti-malware suite,Developed by Microsoft.It is compatible with XP And vista,As taken from the Microsoft website:

Windows Defender detects and removes known spyware from your computer, which helps make your Internet browsing safer.
The software uses automatic definition updates provided by Microsoft analysts to help detect and remove new threats as the threats are identified.
Improvements in Windows Defender

•Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
•Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
•Improved control over programs on your computer using enhanced Software Explorer.
•Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
•Protection technologies for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
•Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
•Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
•Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.

Top of page
Benefits of Windows Defender

Helps detect and remove spyware
•Spyware detection. Quickly and easily finds spyware and other unwanted programs that can slow down your computer, display annoying pop-up ads, change Internet settings, or use your private information without your consent.
•Straightforward operation and thorough removal technology. Eliminates detected spyware easily at your direction. If you inadvertently remove programs that you actually want, it's easy to get them back.
•Scheduled scanning and removal. Runs these processes when it's convenient for you, whether it's on-demand or on a schedule that you set.

Improves Internet browsing safety
•Helps stop spyware before it infiltrates your computer. Offers a continuous safeguard designed to target all the ways that spyware can infiltrate your computer.
•Works without distracting you. Runs in the background and automatically handles spyware based on preferences that you set. You can use your computer with minimal interruption.

Helps stop the latest threats
•Expertise you can rely on. A dedicated team of Microsoft researchers continuously searches the Internet to discover new spyware and develop methods to counteract it.
•Stops new threats quickly. A voluntary, worldwide network of Windows Defender users helps Microsoft determine which suspicious programs to classify as spyware. Participants help discover new threats quickly and notify Microsoft analysts, so that everyone is better protected. Anyone who uses Windows Defender can join this network and help report potential spyware to Microsoft.
•Automatically stays up to date. To help protect your computer from the latest threats, you can choose to have updates that counteract new spyware automatically downloaded to your computer.

Windows Defender detects and removes known spyware from your computer, which helps make your Internet browsing safer.
The software uses automatic definition updates provided by Microsoft analysts to help detect and remove new threats as the threats are identified.

Download Link: HERE

AVG is an anitvirus suite made by Gri-soft,compatible with Windows 98 through to Vista!

Download link: HERE

-----------

Coming in at 4th is Media Portal,This is a Freeware version of Windows XP Media center (Worth $350 US$!)

This software allows you to Listen to your music,Listen to the radio (As long as you have a Radio card),Watch and store your dvd's,watch an record live tv also (As long as you have a TV Card)!

---------

Coming in at 3rd,is Microsoft Visual basic Express edition made by Microsoft,I LOVE This piece of software for lots of reasons!:

Easily design great-looking and easy-to-use applications using an intuitive, drag-and-drop interface designer.
Built-in support for Windows XP Themes lets you easily create applications with a Windows XP look and feel.
Over 30 new controls simplify development.
In-place menu editor enables quick and easy creation of main menus and right-click context menus.
“My” namespace provides intuitive access to common functions—working with files, accessing the registry, and utilizing applications settings and resources.
Code colorization, syntax checking, and IntelliSense provide an intuitive development experience.
AutoCorrect can suggest and apply fixes for more than 230 common programming errors.
Don't write that code yourself! Visual Basic Express can write it for you with over 400 built-in IntelliSense code snippets that provide templates for common coding tasks.
“Drag and drop” data from your database onto your Windows application to easily create fully-functional data-driven applications.
Create data-enabled applications using SQL Server 2005 Express.
Visually design queries and databases using the built-in database design tools.

Download link:HERE

-------------------------

Coming in a 2nd Is The GIMP, It is the Freeware version of Adobe photoshop (Worth CS3 $699! Taken from the adobe website)

If you have used Photo shop,You will love the GIMP

Download Link:HERE

------------------------

Coming in at First is Open office made by Sun microsystems,it's a COMPLETE Alternative to Microsft office 2007! (Worth $150)

I use this software EVERY Day,And it is the best piece of software ever!

It even open's microsoft office save files.it contains:

Databasing software (Eqiv to Microsoft Accsess)
Spreadsheet software (Eqiv to Exel)
Drawing software
Prentation software (Equiv to Powerpoint)
mathmatical software
Word Procesing software (Eqiv to Word)

-------------

Well,That is my guide to the best freeware apps,I'm hoping to do the same with the top 5 freeware games soon too.

Open Office is awesome. I use it was well, and it's great. The latest version has so many improvements and it's a world of a difference. It some features that aren't even in MS Office!!

Open Office is awesome. I use it was well, and it's great. The latest version has so many improvements and it's a world of a difference. It some features that aren't even in MS Office!!
i know one good feature is the export to pdf feature nativley built in , not sure if office 07 has that as well but open office is great , i use office on my windows but in linux i use open office

yea same ^ office needs an addon to export to pdf afaik. not that im bothered as i dont use pdf much.
i like avg but i dont think id dl any of that other freeware. mainly because i have office, photoshop and media center.

yea same ^ office needs an addon to export to pdf afaik. not that im bothered as i dont use pdf much.
i like avg but i dont think id dl any of that other freeware. mainly because i have office, photoshop and media center.

ha lol at the last bit , how many fo them did you pay for

as for the office 07 it was just when i was doing my it coursework everything had to be exported as a pdf otherwise they wouldnt mark it so i had to install flash paper

ha lol at the last bit , how many fo them did you pay for

as for the office 07 it was just when i was doing my it coursework everything had to be exported as a pdf otherwise they wouldnt mark it so i had to install flash paper

HA HA I have all 3 and the answer is none of them lol.

Nice thorough review. I've tried the GIMP but I think I'm too dumb to use it.

HA HA I have all 3 and the answer is none of them lol.

i have office 07 and photoshop cs2 and i didnt pay a penny for either :D tbh the only software i ever paid for is a game , the sims aages ago , now i would even pirate that

i have a lot of adobe software
photoshop 6
after FX
premiere pro

still havent paid over a dime :D
got them all from people me and my bro know

NICE POST BTW

Back
Top Bottom