what's a good fan?

nickelodeonn

In Runtime
I am looking for a good fan for my rig... anyways, what does rig stand for? haha. I don't know if this helps, but it'll be running on 500 WT. If you need to know my build, let me know; I'll post it.

yeah........................
we need to know everything that you know about your rig
rig = running PC

the need to know list:
CPU:
GPU (if any):
Heatsink:
PSU:
HDD:
Optics:
Motherboard:
Case:

and anything else that you might think would be handy to know

okay so if that list that ive just seen is your rig
then what is your goal?
how far do you want to push it?

the need to know list:
CPU:
GPU (if any):
Heatsink:
PSU:
HDD:
Optics:
Motherboard:
Case:
then what is your goal?
how far do you want to push it?

I'll simplify it for you.
Processor
Graphics Card
The heatsink comes with the Processor to cool it (This is what you want if you're overclocking)
Power Supply
Hard Drive
DVD drive etc.
Motherboard
Case
Overclocking means to push your processor faster then stock speeds. Kinda like putting nitrous in your car. You only need to buy a separate one if you're overclocking, if not the stock will do.

I'll simplify it for you.
Processor
Graphics Card
The heatsink comes with the Processor to cool it (This is what you want if you're overclocking)
Power Supply
Hard Drive
DVD drive etc.
Motherboard
Case
Overclocking means to push your processor faster then stock speeds. Kinda like putting nitrous in your car. You only need to buy a separate one if you're overclocking, if not the stock will do.

My (want-to-build) Rig
and, should I overclock it?!

you would have a lot of reading and research to do before you attempt to overclock or you will burn up mobo/cpu

imo just spend the extra 50-100$ to buy the better cpu and if it does what you need overclocking is unnecessary

Haha okay, I'm not going to "overclock" (don't even know what that means)... I'll just stick with my CPU with it's 3.1ghz :)

You do know that cpu is totally worthless. a dual core with 6mb of l3 cache will do nothing for you. if you really cant afford $20 more for an X3 or $40 more for an X4 you need to just get this. Its 300mhz slower and it almost matches the 550 in performance, dont take my word for it read this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X2_240

While you can call the new Athlon II X2 series a budget CPU, you might also refer to them as budget gaming CPUs. Compared to AMD's Phenom II X2 at a higher frequency with 512 KB L2 cache per core and big 6 MB L3 cache, Athlon II X2 240 is not that much slower at all. On average it's a 3-5 FPS performance drop which means it performs almost as well as the much more expensive Phenom II X2 models.
-Techpowerup

Also why would you ask if you should overclock is if you want to just stick with stock speeds? And why dont you know what overclocking means? Almost everyone who builds a computer knows what overclocking is (thats usually WHY there building in the first place)..

You do know that cpu is totally worthless. a dual core with 6mb of l3 cache will do nothing for you. if you really cant afford $20 more for an X3 or $40 more for an X4 you need to just get this. Its 300mhz slower and it almost matches the 550 in performance, dont take my word for it read this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X2_240

-Techpowerup

Also why would you ask if you should overclock is if you want to just stick with stock speeds? And why dont you know what overclocking means? Almost everyone who builds a computer knows what overclocking is (thats usually WHY there building in the first place)..

Well, I'm sorry. Thanks for the help, I'm just building a computer for the EXPERIENCE. And yes, I have no idea what "overclocking" is, and that's fine. I was just wondering if it would be worth my time to learn about it, that's all.

And I might do what you say and get that cheap CPU, I don't know... thanks for the suggestion. But really, I am a VERY new beginner, and just started getting interested in building computers about 3 days ago, so sorry I'm not up-to-par with you. :)

If i were you i wouldnt make any purchasing decisons until you research everything you can about each component you want. Also you havent really stated what your using this computer for, Which is crucial for us to know so that we can help you with your choice of parts

Back
Top Bottom