Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Thermal Paste help?

Hey I am on my way into town now for some compressed air, an extra side fan for my case, and some fresh after market thermal paste.

Which compounds do you all recommend for thermal paste? This is my build basically...
I5 2500k on a ga z68 with an above average (but not l33t) heatsink fan. I also have a gtx 570 and was interested in redoing it's heatsink as well. I am comfortable with taking it apart for that, it should be no problem for myself.

Any compound I could use for both to drop my temps by a few degrees? When I oc my 570 it usually floats ~78* and fan is running ~80%. I don't do that like, ever, but I'd like to see it drop a couple digits after a new heatsink compound.

EasyAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Thermal Paste help?

Antec Formula 7

i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

After spending a few years on various forum sites, I can tell you that everyone has their own favorite brand of TIM, which they will swear is the best, and defend to the death.

My advice is Google the top 5, and you cannot go wrong, because there is rarely more than 1c to 1.5c variance between them.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Beta Member

I agree hameister, I did some quick searches on my way into town, and was perfectly happy picking up arctic silver mx2. They only had that and a budget brand paste anyways :/
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Any thermal paste will do the Arctic Silver is the better in my experience. The cheap toothpaste looking stuff works to. The differences are minor, if your overheating you may want to look into different cooling.
1computeroutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1computeroutlet View Post
Any thermal paste will do the Arctic Silver is the better in my experience. The cheap toothpaste looking stuff works to. The differences are minor, if your overheating you may want to look into different cooling.
WRONG Bozo. Not any old paste will do. Some of the cheap stuff is just that, cheap stuff. You could have a catastrophic failure if the thermal conduction properties don't hold up.
Quote:
"The differences are minor"
Your village called. Seems they're missing their .....
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock

WRONG Bozo. Not any old paste will do. Some of the cheap stuff is just that, cheap stuff. You could have a catastrophic failure if the thermal conduction properties don't hold up.
Your village called. Seems they're missing their .....
Hahahahaha ha! You're uber trolly but you're right nonetheless.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
MMM
Daemon Poster

Only ever seen one catastrophic failure of a CPU to failure of heat sink compound drying out but that was in a computer that was about ten years old which I thought did quite well.

All thermal pastes will degrade eventually over time.

What brand CPU paste do you deem cheap?

IMO it comes back if you apply the paste correctly then there should not be any problems.....again my opinion thermal paste should be replaced about every 2 years apart especially if CPU is overclocked to high temps.

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote