Settings to O.C. E6300 on a GA-EP43-UD3L?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I recently built the desktop in my signature below, and was wanting to get a small o.c. on stock cooling for my Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz CPU. Anyone with this same Gigabyte board (GA-EP43-UD3L) can tell me the settings to adjust to get say..3.0Ghz? Would it even make any difference going from 2.8 to 3.0? Would my RAM or GPU bottleneck the increase in GHz on the CPU anyways?

I wouldn't worry about bottle-necking. That rarely happens and when it does you don't notice it. That term is too commonly used. It's most popular reference is the Front Side Bus which does, in fact, act as a bottle-neck in the system.

The E6300 has a 1066 FSB, and is a 45nm Wolfdale which gives it significant overclocking power. You could probably top 4GHz with it.

I don't know your BIOS so I'll have to be a little bit vague in terms of where to go, but I can definitely help you on what settings to use.

Note there is a Actual Front Side bus (AFSB) Which is the REAL FSB speed and a Rated Front Side Bus (RFSB, or known as QDR - Quad Data Rate, for some reason) which is the Quad-Pumped FSB Speed.

If Core Clock = (RFSB/4)xMultiplier
Your multiplier should be 10x then.
If the desired Core Clock is 3.0GHz, then set the Actual Front Side Bus to 300 for 3000 = (300)(10) or It may ask for the input of the QDR or RFSB which would be 4x300 - 1200MHz RFSB.

Follow the same equation for other clocks.

For now, I'd leave the RAM at stock speeds to take advantage of faster timings.
And if your board has Auto-Voltage settings, I'd leave them alone for a small overclock.

running at 3.0GHz with no problems (stock cooler). my temps are 35 idle, and highest under load so far is 49. Multiplier was 10 with fine tune +.5 for a total of 10.5, so set the FSB to 286. RAM is slightly under the 800 now at 715 or so (not at desktop now and can't remember exact number). Next setting up brings RAM to 858 so didn't know if i should use that setting or not and go over the 800 rating for the RAM. BIOS had a "Robust Graphics Booster" with setting choices of "Auto", "Fast", or "Turbo". Suggestion there? and RAM setting suggestion (leave as is, or run it at the 858 speed?

PNY does fairly well with their RAM. Unfortunately, I don't think it could handle running 1:1 with your FSB. That'd be 1,144MHz. You could probably get it to 950 :D

i like this overclocking stuff! i have it running at 3.5GHz now on stock cooling with max temp so far of 55c. Intel has the max temp for this processor at 74c at 65w so i guess i'm ok? don't want to fry my cpu, maybe go down a little bit?

edit: tried downclocking back to 3.0GHz, but after booting into windows with new bios setting for 3.0GHz, it still showed up in windows at 3.5GHz. tried several times. finally, went back into bios and loaded fail-safe defaults which reset it to 2.8, and then it showed 2.8 when booted into windows. any idea why the 3.5 setting was sticking, or the lower one of 3.0 wasn't loading?

Not to sound like I'm second-guessing you, but did you save to CMOS after changing back to a lower speed?

yeah. doesn't seem to save any settings if i lower the cpu multiplier from the stock 10 + .5 fine tuning of 10.5. it will save the settings if i adjust the fsb though, so i have it running at 3.0GHz using the 10.5 multiplier and 286 fsb. for the ram settings, i have to pick from what's offered setting wise, and depending on what settings i pick i can run the ram at 715 or 858...have it at 715 because i didn't really want to go over the rated 800 and have to mess with any voltage for the ram or anything.

it's on auto now, or i can take it off and manually step up to other choices...it's at 1.8v now, 1.9 is next step up.

Back
Top Bottom