Seriously debating water cooling

shozzking

Daemon Poster
I'm considering water cooling mainly because of my graphics cards. they have to be spread apart or they'll overheat all the time and i want a physx card which doesnt let me do that.

i'd want to start with cooling my CPU and my two 5770's but have it expandable to another graphics card and the northbridge. would either of these 2 work for that?

Budget
A high performance CPU loop that doesn't break the bank.

CPU Block: Danger Den MC-TDX *** Make sure you get the proper block for your CPU socket type. The blocks themselves are different, not just the mounts.*** available in AMD 939/AM2/AM3, 775, 1156/1366. $60

Pump: 500 L/hr OCZ hydro pulse. $40

radiator: Swiftech MCR220 $40

reservoir: Swiftech Micro Res. $25

Fans 2x Yate loon 120mmx25mm 2x$5

Tubing: Primochill Primoflex 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD tubing (Get 3/8" so you need less fluid ) 4 feet should be sufficient. $9

Barbs: You will need four 3/8 inch G1/4 barbs and clamps. The pump and reservoir come with their own barbs, but I recommend getting your own clamps for them as well. Get the metal hose clamps, not the plastic ones. $12

Choice of fluid is up to you.

Total estimated cost of build: $196

Loop should go Reservoir>pump>radiator>CPU block>reservoir

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midrange
A middle priced CPU loop that will keep your CPU and possibly other components icy chill.

CPU block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ *** Make sure you buy the correct one for your CPU socket.*** $55

Pump: 800 L/hr OCZ Hydro Pulse $45

radiator: Black Ice GTX xtreme 240 $80

reservoir: Technofront Flow trap reservoir $30

Fans: 4x yate loon push/pull 120mm 4x$5

tubing Primochill primoflex 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD 4 feet should be sufficient. $9

barbs 8 3/8" G1/4 barbs, and 8 metal hose clamps. $20

Total estimated cost: $259

how much difference would I notice between my current cpu cooling and this loop? and what sort of waterblocks would i need for my 5770s?

I recommend against water cooling 5770s. The cost of two blocks will be ridiculous. Sell them and get a single 5850, flash it, then OC like crazy. No water cooling needed.

As far as CPU cooling, it will run cooler, but you won't get enough extra performance to really justify the cost.

I can get an open box powercolor 5870 for $330 on newegg, would it be worth it to wc that?

Not really. I don't think the powercolors even have vGPU control, so you would have to voltmod it. Even then, the 5xxx cards run cool enough to get pretty much the max overclock on air.

Back
Top Bottom