Redo tidying up cables

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Backside view of my case.
attachment.php

Since adding the SSD I really needed to tidy up the wiring. While I was in there I went ahead and added another 500 gig WD hard drive to the stack.
That lead to doing some swapping out of the two sata power leads. One has just 2 plugs on it and the other has four spaced out somewhat. A little too much if ya ask me. The sata cables are 18" and a little too long. I'm going to order some 12" long cables tomorrow.

The point of the matter is keeping the cables tidyed up. Not only do loose cables get in the way of air flow, they also can get pinched or chafe on sharp corners and get shorted out.
Cases like mine have what I call soft corners. they're rounded off or protected by rubber grommlets which the cables pass through. In a lot of cases the back of the mother board mounting plate has a gap between the plate and the case side cover. While some case makers don't openly say to use this to hide the wiring, case makers like Antec go as far as putting cable strap tie downs.
You just thread the cables through the holes and strap them down. Makes for a neat and tiddy look on the main side. The air can flow through the case with out cables getting in the way.
attachment.php

I got carried away with fixing up the wiring in mine today and just though I'd share how it came out. Before you comment on the dust, I did blow her out after I got everything else done. Amazing what you can do with a Q-tip. And I'm breathing that garbage...

Comment on the dust? What dust? I don't mean to be rude, but that's why more time/work then I would ever spend on wiring. I get it, airflow...looks...blah blah....but my computer sits under my desk and no one ever sees it, let alone inside it. Sure I tuck the cables out of the way as best as I can, but I'd never do that. And a Q-Tip? I don't even clean myself that good....:lol:

I guess though when you refer to a computer as a "her" then special care is to be expected. Mostly I refer to mine as a piece o' junk, as in 'come on you piece o' junk..WORK!'.

To each his own though. Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom