Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Default Re: Is It Possible To Overclock AMD E-350 Dual Core Brazos?

Chips from the manufacturer are not set to a specific speed for no reason. Your 1.6GHz chip probably has a max clock rate of around 2GHz if not higher. They are underclocked and then locked by the manufacturer. They underclock them for many reasons, heat generation and stability being the biggest two.

Now, if you unlock the chip you can increase the amount of voltage that the chip receives, and a few other things (e.g. FSB) to get a higher throughput from the CPU.

Given that this is a laptop, my advice is simple; don't.

The laptop may have sufficient cooling for the amount of work being done by the chip in its current state, but an increase of even .1 GHz can quickly change the cooling workload. It can also cause instability and crashing. Also, your assessment of your cooling is probably not after an hour of full CPU load.

An AMD chip core, with no cooling, will physically crack after 10 seconds (I've done this, and not on purpose) meaning no more chip. If the CPU gets hot enough, quick enough, the temperature controls won't be in place to send the kill switch fast enough.

The above is an absolute extreme worst case, and the probability of it happening to your laptop is next to nil. However, it is still possible that you change something so drastically that permanent damage is done.

My advice not to is simply driven by the fact that your laptop sounds to be your primary PC. If this is your first venture into Overclocking, I suggest going on ebay and buying some old crap PC. The older chips (2000-2004) were a little harder to unlock, but you learned a lot in the process. Plus, if you dork it up, it's just a crappy old PC off ebay.

I encourage you to do some overclocking as it is quite challenging and intellectually stimulating, but I would STRONGLY advise against using your main PC as the science experiment.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Golden Master

Yes my laptop is my primary pc that I heavily rely on, I have an older desktop that is hardly used any more so I will give it a go on that..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
It is the laptop version, If I can't then oh well was just an idea..
Google tweakhound windows 7 and follow the guide until you are satisfied.

Don't know if this still works, but you can take it all apart and look for a PLL number on the board. Then try a couple hundred pll fsb programs to see if its supported in one of them.

The E-450 is soldered in place :/ Not that there's any upgrade for it.
aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPanzerIV

Google tweakhound windows 7 and follow the guide until you are satisfied.

Don't know if this still works, but you can take it all apart and look for a PLL number on the board. Then try a couple hundred pll fsb programs to see if its supported in one of them.

The E-450 is soldered in place :/ Not that there's any upgrade for it.
I will try that when I get home as I just about to out and haven't turned my laptop on this morning..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Beta Member

Hello. I am a gamer and was wondering the same thing. I would like to overclock my Toshiba laptop *Satellite C655D-S5303* Right now it is running
Windows 7 Professional x64
3.00GB *Hard drive 198 free of 284*
E2 Vision Motherboard
Dual Core AMD E-350 1.6GHz Processors
and AMD 6310 Radeon HD Graphics. Please help me if possible, I will stay updated because I would love to play with ArmA 2 CO with at least a little bit of Very High settings. Would love to have 1.9GHz or at least 2.0
Pay141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Probably not. Most OEMs do not give you many options in terms of tweaking BIOS settings outside of the boot order.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Beta Member

Was you answering my question or his? It is helpful both ways, I also have a old Desktop PC with a Nvidia 5200 game card. Not sure what the processor it but thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay141 View Post
Was you answering my question or his? It is helpful both ways, I also have a old Desktop PC with a Nvidia 5200 game card. Not sure what the processor it but thanks.
That was to answer your question.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Daemon Poster

Its not a great idea to OC any laptop (unless its a high end ... like a ROCK etc) generating heat is the main problem.
Core i7 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Corsair Series CX750w, Intel 320 Series SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Blu Ray/DVD, Black Night Case, Saitek & Razer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, ZA Antivirus + Firewall
*= WildCat =* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Beta Member

Could there be a way to OC it with a cooling pad for my laptop to sit on? I have found one at Amazon for about 3 to 4 dollars. Like I said, 1.9GHz would be all or at least 1.8GHz could help out a lot. Because I read a little more and this one guy said that BF3 runs good on low settings, and that 1.9GHz could help out. So hopefully I can find something, I just don't want to kill my laptop, it is all I have for modernized options right now.

Tags
amd, core, cpu, dual