Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #151
Baseband Member

Default Re: Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

This so called guide is way off base.
Here are the basics to get started.

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showt...985/index.html

ItsLasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #152
Daemon Poster

I have a Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, and before I jump in to speed it up, i would lik eto know a few things:

1. My dad says overclocking under any circumstance will dramaticly shorten the life of a cpu.

2. I have an ASrock G43 775 motherboard, from a custom build, but the Cpu came out of an HP Stock computer, can I still over clock it?

3. If my cpu runs at about 95F, how much can I over clock it?

4. I don't know the exact speed of my memory, but I think its around DDR2 266- 550mhz or somthing.

aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #153
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post
This so called guide is way off base.
Here are the basics to get started.

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showt...985/index.html
I wouldn't say "off base", but outdated. It's four years old lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPanzerIV View Post
I have a Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, and before I jump in to speed it up, i would lik eto know a few things:

1. My dad says overclocking under any circumstance will dramaticly shorten the life of a cpu.

2. I have an ASrock G43 775 motherboard, from a custom build, but the Cpu came out of an HP Stock computer, can I still over clock it?

3. If my cpu runs at about 95F, how much can I over clock it?

4. I don't know the exact speed of my memory, but I think its around DDR2 266- 550mhz or somthing.
1. Only true if your cooling sucks and you crank voltages to dangerously high levels. I run my overclocked hardware for at least a year before upgrading and I expect them to run much longer. I've only lost one motherboard to overclocking, and that was due to my ignorance. (don't run max northbridge voltage 24/7, especially on stock cooling.)

2. The only option a CPU can limit is the multiplier. All other options (FSB, RAM dividers, voltages, etc.) are determined by your motherboard.

3. Use Celsius, it's pretty much the standard for measuring the temperature of computer components. That's 35C, which is pretty low. What you need to do is find load temperatures, which is what really matters. Use something like Prime95 and HWMonitor or CoreTemp to watch your temps. Keep it under 100% load for at least ten minutes unless you start to hit dangerous levels. Pentiums 4/Ds are known to run hot, so I'd cut it off if it hit around 60-65C.

4. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so you divide the DDRII rate by 2. DDRII 266=133 Mhz, which is what you'll see in CPU-Z.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #154
Solid State Member

Send a message via MSN to Woodchucker95

Ahh...the wonderful overclock, too bad I can't overclock my prebuilt system ....wait....damn a thread from 2006.
Woodchucker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #155
Baseband Member

built my computer.. i intentionally bought the AMD64 X2 5000+ Black edition.. black edition means the multiplier is unlocked.. because of this it was quite easy for me to reach 3ghz from my stock 2.6ghz
as a bonus it is only a 65w processor at stock settings. my multiplier is stock at 13.. i am able to bump it up to 14.5 safely without any instability. at 15 it will not post unless i tweak voltages. so to be extra safe and stable i brought it back down to 14x instead of 14.5 so i can put faith in it.
aidynphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #156
Solid State Member

What is the percentage of an overclock succeeding? I am considering doing it for one of my friends who has a slow computer, but want to know the probability I have of doing it correctly.
bhetajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #157
Beta Member

good day...

nice thing on this data...

php web development firm

troy87mt is offline   Reply With Quote