Overclocking with stock heatsink

cowdood

Baseband Member
I have a Core 2 Duo E7400 (2.8ghz) and the original intel heatsink that came with it. I know I won't be getting 4 ghz out of it, but could I overclock this at all or would it be dangerous? Would even around 3.0ghz make it over heat?

increasing frequency dosnt create more heat.

increasing Vcore is what creates heat

if you can get 3Ghz without modifying the Vcore, then ur fine.

but i would suggest nOT OC on stock HSF

It's perfectly fine to overclock on a stock heatsink. In fact, it is no different than overclocking on an after-market heatsink. Keep your eyes on the temps and push it as far as you can without passing 50C (under full load).

I don't know why, but when someone asks if they can overclock on a stock heatsink, everybody is like, "Oh noes! Don't do it! It's not good for you!". Guys! It doesn't make a difference. It's not like 40C is hotter on a worse heatsink. The whole idea of buying an after-market heatsink is so you can push your OC further.

PS: 50C is my recommendation. You can choose to stay below whatever Intel says is the thermal limit for the processor.

i dont really know much about stock coolers for intels (Im an AMD guy) but i just finished up a build for my mom with an AMD Sempron 140 2.7Ghz and i overclocked it to 2.95 using the auto overclocking utility on the ASUS M2A74-AM Motherboard. while using the stock cooler, it was able to stay at a good 38-40C temp at idle but i dont know what they were at load. though she doesnt do games nor does she have any :p

I would not recommend any software overclocking utilities, specially the ones that do it automatically. I don't feel like it is 100% risk free.

Back
Top Bottom