Overclocking my computer

rph420

Beta member
I have an asrock 970 extreme 4 with a phenom ii x2 555 be I have tried overclocking using the x boost which instantly unlocks my 4 cores and takes me from 3.2 to 3.4 get but windows will not load. Stock I can overclock to 4.3ghz with no problems except certain games will play for a little while then my computer shuts down. But my temps are good idle at 33 c and no more than 45c when playing but they still shut down. Is it due to being at stock with only 2 cores, even though I'm clocked to 4.0?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

That CPU is not very good for overclocking. There's not much you can do in this situation, but if you take my advice, get an AM3+ motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 or 6300 and overclock it. They're both really good CPU's for overclocking

My mobo is am3+ ready so could I just replace to cpu

That CPU is not very good for overclocking. There's not much you can do in this situation, but if you take my advice, get an AM3+ motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 or 6300 and overclock it. They're both really good CPU's for overclocking

Is the 6300 quad core? Also what makes the difference when gaming having a dual core at 4.0ghz than a quad core at 3.5? Thank you for your help

Quad core is generally better for the future. Single core performance wins over multi core performance at the moment so a higher clocked dual core would more than likely outperform a lower clocked quad core if architecture was similar. But I would DEFINITELY recommend getting an FX 6300 quad core. Good upgrade for sure. Or go intel ;)

Back
Top Bottom