overclocking amd athlon II x4 620 freezing

btcchris

Baseband Member
the default fsb is 200 i increaced it to 231 to get a total frequency of 3006mhz

i ran it through a stress test and had no problems for like 4 1/2 hrs than it froze the highest temp recorded was 45*c

i was reading that amd sais the safe operating temp is 73*c (seems kinda high)

the only problem i can think is i have a 450w power supply and i am running 4 extra fans (not including cpu fan gpu fan psu fan) i think i might be starving the cpu of voltage

one more thing is... in my bios (i will have to check the version) i can not adjust the voltage it is all done automaticly

What are the full specs of the system?

Board, RAM (how much and speed), PSU, HDD's (how many?), OD's, add on cards, GPU, CPU, cooling, etc.

amd athlon II x4 620 cpu
msi k9n2 platnum mother board
2 gigs ddr2 800mhz (ozc)
the psu is a cheap $30 comp usa 450w (possible problem)
1 western didgital 500gb hdd
cpu cooling is the stock heat sink and fan that came with the cpu
nvidia 8800 gt oc 512mb gddr3

the case is a antec 900 like i said it has 3 80mm blue lit fans and a 120mm fan on top

Yeah, it may be undervoltaged. I doubt it's the PSU. If it were, it would have immediately shut off under too much load. If you can change the voltage through BIOS, then you need an program that can do it dynamically in Windows. Mind you, that's very dangerous and can cause SERIOUS damage to your hardware. Dynamic BIOS changes through windows can easily be corrupted and have a negative effect.

Load up CPU-Z and see what voltages you are currently running for your CPU. Should be around 1.3

right now it is 1.3v i will overclock it again and see if the voltage changes

even with the bios that came with the motherboard there has to be a way to change the voltage i think i might have some reading to do

i just overclocked it again to 3.01ghz and the voltage remained at 1.34-1.35v

in my bios it says, they are grey and i do not have the option to change them

Voltages
cpu [auto]
mct [auto]
dram [auto]
nb [auto]
ht [auto]

Have you flashed to BIOS 3.4?
And have you tried +/- on the NUMPAD with NUMLock enabled?

*EDIT:

Apparently, they are up to 3.6. Perhaps you should flash to it if you haven't. I think your board ships with 3.2 which might have stock locked voltages.

MSI *Official* BIOS Updates

Asus offers a tool called Turbo V download that you can change everything real time

YOU CAN REALLY MEss up your system though but Some mobos turn off to avoid heating up too much

Its AMI BIOS, so it shouldnt be greyed out. Are you in the MIB II tab? I remember having some old version of AMI BIOS that displayed the options in several other places but wouldnt let you change them there.

you can create a DOS boot drive on a usb drive.
I recommend using the HP tool. http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
You will also need a freedos folder to point it towards and use the AFUDOS version supplied by the manufacturer.
After you make the boot drive, paste the bios flashing utility into it.

If its AFUDOS (it probably is) the command will be 'AFUDOS *BIOS ROM file* /p /b /n /c /x'

EDIT: there might be a utility to flash from within windows. NEVER FLASH A BIOS IN WINDOWS!!!! I cannot stress this enough. there will be a high chance that it will kill your BIOS in the process.

Back
Top Bottom