Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Fujitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Overclocking

Okay so today I thought I would go ahead and overclock my 4770k to about 4.3ghz and 1.200V now on idle the temp run around 31 -32 degrees, fine? Idle I shouldn't expect it to be high. Now I used a stress tester (Aida64) and when I do it I get temps in the 90-84 degrees range is this normal or should I back off as looking at those temps are kind of giving me a heart attack.

Thoughts?
My cooler is a h100i in case you are wondering.
__________________

Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
Fujitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Re: Overclocking

Update:

Although while playing Crysis 2 Maximum Edition I seem to hop around 40-50 ocassionally it will hit 60 but hop back down to inbetween that 40-50 degrees.
__________________

Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 113
Default Re: Overclocking

I'm running 3770K (So pretty similar CPU, even though it has different architecture) and my MAX temperature (When my CPU is seriously on 100% for more than few minutes) is 90C. That is acceptable, but I don't expect it to be running like that the whole day, so if you do want it to run on 100% the whole day, you should go down with the clock speed, but If you don't, I don't see a problem then.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Also have in mind, If you don't need to get the last few MHz out of your CPU (If you are not Rendering or something on those lines...), don't do it, It just decreases the life-span of the CPU itself...
FireDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Fujitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Re: Overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust View Post
I'm running 3770K (So pretty similar CPU, even though it has different architecture) and my MAX temperature (When my CPU is seriously on 100% for more than few minutes) is 90C. That is acceptable, but I don't expect it to be running like that the whole day, so if you do want it to run on 100% the whole day, you should go down with the clock speed, but If you don't, I don't see a problem then.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Also have in mind, If you don't need to get the last few MHz out of your CPU (If you are not Rendering or something on those lines...), don't do it, It just decreases the life-span of the CPU itself...
No I don't plan to run 100% thats crazy. Although I do heavy amount of gaming for long periods of time, I have yet to see over 60 degrees while gaming the oc seems quite stable did about 6 hours of crysis(got lazy).

What do you mean by last bit mhz? The .3 in 4.3 mhz?
Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 113
Default Re: Overclocking

If you are only gaming, then that's fine. 90C is more than normal user but still completely fine.
FireDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Fujitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Re: Overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust View Post
If you are only gaming, then that's fine. 90C is more than normal user but still completely fine.
That last part in your previous post what did you mean?
Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 113
Default Re: Overclocking

If you mean this post: "Also have in mind, If you don't need to get the last few MHz out of your CPU (If you are not Rendering or something on those lines...), don't do it, It just decreases the life-span of the CPU itself..."

Then it's pretty simple, If you are only gaming, then you don't really need to OC, unless you see that you are stuttering of experiencing lag, knowing that it is not your GPU. Also with your CPU, overclocking is not really needed thing. BUT, you do have liquid cooling, so you you can overclock without decreasing the Life-span of the CPU, but If I were you, I Would go down with the clock speeds just a bit (Maybe like 4GHz? It's not a big difference, but your Temperatures should go down Immediately).
FireDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
In Runtime
 
Fujitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Re: Overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust View Post
If you mean this post: "Also have in mind, If you don't need to get the last few MHz out of your CPU (If you are not Rendering or something on those lines...), don't do it, It just decreases the life-span of the CPU itself..."

Then it's pretty simple, If you are only gaming, then you don't really need to OC, unless you see that you are stuttering of experiencing lag, knowing that it is not your GPU. Also with your CPU, overclocking is not really needed thing. BUT, you do have liquid cooling, so you you can overclock without decreasing the Life-span of the CPU, but If I were you, I Would go down with the clock speeds just a bit (Maybe like 4GHz? It's not a big difference, but your Temperatures should go down Immediately).
Alright will do I want it to last as long as possible but at the same time I want the most out of the cpu. Trying to meet somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the replies
Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Overclocking

those are high temps for a 900mhz overclock using a H100 color.
Are you getting these temps by stress testing? (stress testing is not always the same as benchmarking)
in that case, don't mind. Do some real world testing. Compress while decompressing 2 large Winrar files while monitoring the temps.
do this at the hottest time of day. (mine is at afternoon, due to my PC have been on for longer and my pet snakes have heat lamps turned on)
if it does go near 90C you should go down on the overclock. you could also check if you have set the volt to high or applied too much (or to little) thermal paste.
__________________

__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0