Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default New mod in the works: Black Ice

The UPS man came with some goodies from newegg today, Coolermaster ATCS 840 Classic today (megahalems and some fans tomorrow!) A few shots of that sexy atcs 840, and one shot of my old heap.
For some reason mods rigs wont save my info after I enter it, so heres some specs:
i7 920 C0 - currently at 3.14Ghz (going to push much further when new cooler and ram arrives)
6gb patriot viper ddr3 1600mhz
4 x 500gb WD black caviar
1 x patriot ps-100 SSD 32gb
EVGA 8800GTS 640mb(was HD 4850 but that is now sold, waiting on next paycheck to get a GTX 470 then the 8800gts will be physix)
EVGA x58 3x SLI

Desperately needed a new case, check out my temporary workbench that I set up because my new board wouldn't fit in my old mini P-180

Front:

further back:

check out those fans!:

Oh but why is it naked? Why is it empty? Well I've got big plans for this big brute of a case. While the brushed aluminum is nice I really just wanted this case for its frame and internals, they're absolutely gorgeous (With a removable mobo tray to boot!). Most if not all of the aluminum panels of the case will be scrapped, I may find something creative to do with that big gravestone-esq front fan cover (thats almost 1/4in thick?!?) but the side panels are extremely delicate. the aluminum is very thin and easy to bend and fells like it weighs little more than a piece of paper. The old panels are going to be replaced with some nice heavy acrylic in two different colors ( A smoke transparent black and an opaque black gloss for the front). Here is a very rough sketch of what I'm planning for the front and top of the case.

Like I said this is a very rough sketch and the fans are not to scale, but the dimensions are correct. The layout of the top panel will stay the same for the most part minus the addition of a fan controller / temp display in place of the power and reset buttons and leds that are moving to the front of the case. The top and sides will be a smoke acrylic and the front panel will become a nice high gloss black. The fan blades in the front will be painted a cool ice blue and the blades will be exposed (No front filter).The last thing I have planned for the case will be the painting of the interior. I'm still not sure if I want the frame black, or to keep the aluminum color and go over it with some UV reactive blue clearcoat to glow through the sides. Thats all for now will be getting the final dimensions tomorrow.

ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: New mod in the works: Black Ice

More stuff that wouldn't fit in the og post, sorry for double post, not trying to self bump .

Some stripped down shots, and the frame and fans getting some paint.

Fans getting some paint:

Fans after the blades painted and dry:

Stripped ATCS:

First round of paint for the frame and mobo tray (ran out of paint getting more tomorrow):

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46

wow looks good so far keep up the good work
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
In Runtime

Nice, good specs and looks pretty good.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Frame is finally done drying and with everything back on the frame it looks pretty nice. Flipped one of my two 230mm exhaust fans to intake to create positive pressure. Did a little overclocking as well, keepin stable at 4.4Ghz on air (on a rev c0) Running a little warm but thats only because my ambient is about 80F.

front

innards: ignore the cable mess and the rainbow of SATA cables, will be fixing here shortly when the next round of goodies comes in

Flipped fan:

4.4Ghz!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
In Runtime

Wow really looks nice, odd screensaver though. lol
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Cool to see another person modding their case. You should sleeve the front panel and fan connectors.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

nice case mod! I should really do mine some time, ive got two just laying there annoying me by taking up space
6950 flashed to 6970 Oc:880cpu 1300memory,2x2gb ddr3 1066,phenomII x4 955 3.2ghz,Tuniq hsf,750w psu,1tb f2 32mb 7200rpm,2tb f4 64mb 7200rpm,cyborg V7, cyborg V3, X-fi creative sounfblaster, Audiophile M-audio,Xclio-windtunnel,Tb7300 graphics tablet
madanchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Brings back memories on the CM690. Of course, it underwent so many mods, it actually stopped acting as a case and more as a...blanket.

Really nice job on the case. What type of finish do you have on the paint?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Love the case mod.

Dang those idle temps are high. I reckon under P95 that will hit 100'C.