Is my Laptop overheating

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Is my Laptop overheating the fan is staying on high for long exteded periods of time.

I like to browse the web and usalley I have a few sites open that I bounce back and forth from/to.

My LT is Acer aspire I3 CPU 57MOBO probablley over 6 years old.it's cooling fan has been known to clog w/ flith and slow the cooling process.

I don't feel comfortable completely disassembling the LT the PC yes not the LT for the though cleaning process.

What I have been doing is stucking the flith from underneath w/ a wet/dry vacunm cleaner, I also elevate the fan section of LT for good air flow.

I'm concerned why is my LTs fan not cooling the CPU I'm not playing video games are watching videos just 3 open web sites and the LT is stressing will it eventually over heat and turn itself off or will the CPU just burn up?
Thanks for any tips STB

Attachments

• overheating.jpg
    overheating.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like it's overheating to me. You can confirm this by running a temperature monitoring tool. The last one I used was called Coretemp but there might be others now that are better.

In my experience it's common for the thermal paste on the heatsink to break down over time and become less effective. Also, dirt in the fan will make things much worse. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out the vents which may help. Many times I have needed to fully disassemble the laptops to remove all the debris and reapply new thermal paste. A computer repair shop can do this for you.

It might not be worth your while taking it to a computer shop bearing in mind that that is an old old machine technologically speaking. Over here a computer shop would charge at least £100 to strip it down clean it out etc. And you can bet your bottom dollar they will find other things wrong with it.

You might pick up a can of compressed air and blow it through the intakes while you're vacuuming the exhausts.

Also, taking apart a computer to dust it is fairly simple It's usually less than 10 screws to pull the bottom off and get access to the intake fan. It doesn't need to be FULLY disassembled.

You might pick up a can of compressed air and blow it through the intakes while you're vacuuming the exhausts.

Also, taking apart a computer to dust it is fairly simple It's usually less than 10 screws to pull the bottom off and get access to the intake fan. It doesn't need to be FULLY disassembled.
OK I have a can of compressed air where are the intakes?
Thanks STB

yes the red circle is exhaust, this where I've been vacuuming where are the intakes to blow in compressed air?
thanks STB

Attachments

• my acerLT.jpg
    my acerLT.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5
the red circle is the intake, the exhaust is on the side of the laptop. even further to the left. blow air into that circled area, and vacuum the exhaust on the side. and try to keep the fan still while you're doing this.

Back
Top Bottom