i7 CPU Temperatures

Kyle1234

Beta member
I recently put a Thermaltake Spinq CPU cooler on my i7-960. When playing games, my temps go to between 60-76 degrees Celsius (140-170F). Is this normal? I've been running Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life: Episode 2, and a few others.

If the temps are not normal, would you reccommend a different cpu cooler? How do the Xigmatek Dark Knight or Thor's Hammer compare?

that seems a little high for an aftermarket cooler. I'm slightly overclocked and my temps don't get that high with my stock cooler.
is there a speed control on the fan?

i think these tempreatures are ok, what sort of cooling do you have in your system?? I also found this chart on the net

pic_disp.php

i have the i7 950 at stock and it never runs higher than 75 at stock speed. but i guess if you plan to overclock thats a diferent story. how many case fans do you have? this might also be a problem/ bad air flow.

The i5s and i7s are ment to equiped with a high performence CPU cooling system. even at stock speeds. When overclocking you have to consider buying a LC system or HP aircooler. 60-75 seems pretty high, get better cooling!

Well, I can't speak for the i7, but my Phenom II runs at 22C idle and never more than 40C load. If the airflow in your case is good (an intake fan AND exhaust fan, so theres no dead pockets of air) and a decent cooler (i definately recommend the Freezer Pro 7, but it's tricky to fit in some cases) you should have no problems.

I recommend you get this, and you'll see a dramatic fall in temperatures.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Back
Top Bottom