How much can I overclock an AMD Athlon II Regor 3.0Ghz CPU?

Ascendant

Baseband Member
The processor I currently have is:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

I'm looking to overclock this thing some for gaming purposes, but at the same time I have a concern for burning it out as I can't afford a new CPU at this time. I'm currently using the heatsink that came with the CPU. I do have another one but from what I had read when I purchased the CPU at the time, their heatsinks were getting great feedback and worked even better than some purchased from other companies. To save myself the trouble, I just went with the stock heatsink though I do have another I used to use. Don't have the name off the top of my head but I can get it later if people feel it would be a wise idea to go with something better for overclocking.

Anyway, don't wanna push the CPU too hard, just within a safe range where I will get a performance increase but not at the expense of risking damage to the CPU. Any suggestions from individuals with experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

What motherboard are you using?
You could try unlocking that dual core into a quadcore.
Most biostar and asus boards have ACC (advanced clock calibration) option in the bios.

My Phenom 2.8 got to 3.6 Without any trouble. I was using an Asus Board and some AC5 though. I would think you could clock it to 3.4 Safely with the standard heatsink/paste.

Try unlocking the the other 2 cores first. Can you post the rest of your specs to see if there are any bottlenecks ?

Back
Top Bottom