[HELP] Overclocking a Phenom II X4 955?

Computear

Daemon Poster
Anybody have experience overclocking 1 of these?

I should have my rig together by Wednesday and I'll probably need help getting this thing up where I want it.

Should I wait 'til I get my aftermarket CPU Cooler (which I haven't ordered yet) before I even start OC'ing?

Yes. You can overclock on a stock HSF, but I strongly advise against it, especially since the PII's are 125w procs.

I hear the V8 has good performance. I'd suggest swapping out the internal fan for even better performance, and if you can remove plastic on top. Go for that, too.

For a considerable bit more, you could pick up a V10 Peltier cooler.

I hear the V8 has good performance. I'd suggest swapping out the internal fan for even better performance, and if you can remove plastic on top. Go for that, too.

For a considerable bit more, you could pick up a V10 Peltier cooler.

I think I'm gonna stick with the V8; my other consideration was this one.

That's also quite a popular cooler, for a good reason. The TRUE copper was probably the best one they made, but that TRUE black should do just fine.

I'd go with the True BLACK as my first option.

OC'ing AMD CPU's is easy. And the RAM your getting won't hold your OC back either - 1600Mhz.

So it will be just a matter of increasing the CPU multiplier until you get stability issues, then knock it back to your last stable setting.

Once you done the above you can start to increase the clock speed from it's 200Mhz starting point. Again, find a stable setting here.

Once you reached the highest CPU multiplier and clock speed you can find a balance to maybe achieve a higher CPU speed. I.E. drop the multiplier back down and increase the clock speed much higher than before. The main thing is testing the stability of the OC each time.

I'd go with the True BLACK as my first option.

OC'ing AMD CPU's is easy. And the RAM your getting won't hold your OC back either - 1600Mhz.

So it will be just a matter of increasing the CPU multiplier until you get stability issues, then knock it back to your last stable setting.

Once you done the above you can start to increase the clock speed from it's 200Mhz starting point. Again, find a stable setting here.

Once you reached the highest CPU multiplier and clock speed you can find a balance to maybe achieve a higher CPU speed. I.E. drop the multiplier back down and increase the clock speed much higher than before. The main thing is testing the stability of the OC each time.

Yeah I really like the TRUE Black.. with the best fan on there (142 CFM) its ~$100 after S&H; but its about the best HSF i can get without getting that heavy TRUE copper

Back
Top Bottom