Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Heating problems

Hey there!

I have recently run into a problem with my laptop (ask if more info is needed, and I'll dig it up) regarding cooling/heating, and figured this would be a good place to ask it.

I have been using this laptop for all kinds of use, mostly for games, for about two years now. Recently I decided to buy "The Last Remnant" from Steam due to a recommendation by a friend. I had read that some laptops have overheating problems with the game, but as the friend who recommend has an older laptop than mine, and hasn't run into any problems, I thought my laptop could take it as well.
Nope. When playing the game (more like trying to) I got two thermal shutdowns. The first happened when I entered the options menu (Didn't even get to start the game!). I then restarted my computer and the game, managed to turn the settings as low as possible, and decided to try again. This time I could play for a while, but got another thermal shutdown soon.

I decided that I should wait till I by a better computer in the future, and continued using the laptop like usual (ignoring The Last Remnant, however, as I didn't want to get more thermal shutdowns), but nowadays, I can't play the multiplayer of games like Tf2 and L4D2 without getting a thermal shutdowns as well!
Even the fan is blowing louder nowadays, and while trying to evade games that cause thermal shutdowns, I have gotten 6 or 7 of them...

Can anyone help me with this issue, is it relevant to the possible wearing out of the thermal paste, or something else?

Best regards

TheDeitySlayer

TheDeitySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Heating problems

Yeh laptops don't last forever especially if you don't keep them well cooled and ventilated I can give you a few tips to keep the heat down but I don't think it will get rid of the heat issue all together.

1. Give your laptop a good clean out , take it to bits and clean all the dust out of it.

2. While you have it open (if your laptop needs it) put new thermal paste on you're cpu.

3. Buy a cooling pad these things make a world of diffrence

4. Keep your room cool any air cooler can only get as cool as the room you are in.

5. I'm now on Extreme circumstances, buy a new cooling fan for your pc as it had probably worn out

6. Put it on power saving mode and not other modes like hight performance.

7. Update all drivers

8. Buy a new laptop (if you are gaming go with a desktop)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcon123 View Post
Yeh laptops don't last forever especially if you don't keep them well cooled and ventilated I can give you a few tips to keep the heat down but I don't think it will get rid of the heat issue all together.

1. Give your laptop a good clean out , take it to bits and clean all the dust out of it.

2. While you have it open (if your laptop needs it) put new thermal paste on you're cpu.

3. Buy a cooling pad these things make a world of diffrence

4. Keep your room cool any air cooler can only get as cool as the room you are in.

5. I'm now on Extreme circumstances, buy a new cooling fan for your pc as it had probably worn out

6. Put it on power saving mode and not other modes like hight performance.

7. Update all drivers

8. Buy a new laptop (if you are gaming go with a desktop)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums
Thank you for your answer. I'll have to see if I can find any dust or other dirt from anywhere, and get that out...
I do, however, already have a cooling pad. Although it's not one of those fancy models that have a mini-fan that you can plug through usb.

And yeah, a desktop would be better, but I haven't moved into an appartment of my own yet, and as I travel between two homes, a laptop is more convenient that a desktop (I'm not one of those who go carrying their desktop computers around )

And I'll have to see if one of my friends would be up to removing the old paste and applying new one, as I fear that I would just put too much of it, defeatig the purpose... We will see.
TheDeitySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Golden Master

Deep Cool make excellent cooling pads, I have one myself and it works great. I have this one N17 DEEPCOOL Up to 14? which but its for 14 inch laptops, See the full list here for all sizes DEEPCOOL ALL
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote