Ghettobook II preliminary discussion thread

After purchasing three different switching techniques for the monitor input, I finally decided to just shunt it.

Oh well; at least I now have a bunch of spare DIP relays and switches.

This is what happens when you do not fully plan out your project before ordering parts. Learn from my mistake, people.

I have, by now, made a number of relevant acquisitions.

dxAJeP0.jpg

I must say that, after a day of use, I am quite pleased with the screen quality of this laptop, and I am equally glad that I chose it as the basis for Ghettobook II.

Well, I seem to have run into an issue: intermittent shutdowns with no OS-detectable error code.

It has occurred in exactly the same manner with two different power supplies, and with two different operating systems on two different SSDs. A preliminary run of Memtest86+ came back clean. This time, I have tried changing the battery. Should this fail as well, this computer will likely be going back.

Well, I seem to have run into an issue: intermittent shutdowns with no OS-detectable error code.

It has occurred in exactly the same manner with two different power supplies, and with two different operating systems on two different SSDs. A preliminary run of Memtest86+ came back clean. This time, I have tried changing the battery. Should this fail as well, this computer will likely be going back.

Would it void the warranty if you opened it up to check the board for damage?

Also, have you tried running it on AC only?

I would check the memory again: 24 hours+ with memtest, and/or change out the modules. I have seen RAM sticks pass memtest and still be bad, though it is exceedingly rare.

Would it void the warranty if you opened it up to check the board for damage?

Also, have you tried running it on AC only?

Seeing as there are already screws missing, I could get away with as much tampering as I like.

I have not, nor do I care for such a test. If it will not run with any battery, it is useless to me.

Dngrsone: That is why I used the word preliminary. I have also encountered this.

I have received the PCI express riser and quickly tested it with an old HD 4670.

WRwLbWU.jpg

As I do not want to shut down the T61p, killing its uptime, I tested it with the T61. The results were quite positive.

NVS 140M:

k8hEYI3.png

External HD 4670:

5saW8K5.png

As you can see, the average framerate went from two to twelve. Next up will be a test with a HD 5770.

A test with the HD 5770 resulted in a consistent 27fps, after I pegged the fan in Afterburner to prevent core throttling.

MHLwl6G.png

The fact that core throttling to 600MHz affected the framerate is proof that I still have yet to saturate the connection, at least in Furmark's 800x600 mode. My suspicion is that it would behave differently in a game involving complex textures.

Why not buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0DTK5B/ref=psdc_13896609011_t2_B01MTUI4HO
or build it yourself?
They are a great portable device.

That is not even close to what I am after. I want a full desktop replacement, complete with multiple monitors and the ability to run games.

Besides, $730.

A test with the HD 5770 resulted in a consistent 27fps, after I pegged the fan in Afterburner to prevent core throttling.

MHLwl6G.png

The fact that core throttling to 600MHz affected the framerate is proof that I still have yet to saturate the connection, at least in Furmark's 800x600 mode. My suspicion is that it would behave differently in a game involving complex textures.

That is not even close to what I am after. I want a full desktop replacement, complete with multiple monitors and the ability to run games.

Besides, $730.
I use an ASUS gaming ROG laptop that works pretty well as a desktop replacement.
It's fairly large though and not very lightweight.

Back
Top Bottom