Fish tank mod!!!

foothead

Omnicide now.
LOL I have decided that I am gonna mod my 55 gallon fish tank this summer. The plan is to remove all the glass panels, and build a plywood L-shaped tank with them. It will end up being a 9'x1'x21" tank, but with a 90 degree bend in the middle, so it can fit into a corner. The total capacity should be about 110 gallons.

Here are some very basic sketches of how it will be built.

EPSON001.jpg

EPSON002.jpg

I am going to use permadri pond coat to seal the plywood, with Dow 795 silicone on all the joints. Also built will be a custom stand, and a sump which will be made out of one of my old tanks, most likely the 29g. Total cost for the build should come to about $250-300.

Since this is a mod, I think I put it in the correct section. there is nothing specifying that it has to be a computer-related mod. :D

Looks nice!

Not being negative at all, just wondering, but did you ever do any calculations as to pressure that the water will be exerting on the plywood, or just assume that it will be good enough to hold it?

(Obviously logic takes over when you clearly have enough materials to do a job)

Also, how are you going to do it? You say 'remove the glass panels' .... Wheres the water going to go then?

:D

Looks nice!

Not being negative at all, just wondering, but did you ever do any calculations as to pressure that the water will be exerting on the plywood, or just assume that it will be good enough to hold it?

(Obviously logic takes over when you clearly have enough materials to do a job)

Also, how are you going to do it? You say 'remove the glass panels' .... Wheres the water going to go then?

:D

Lol the tank is epically overbuilt. I could use just plywood if I wanted to, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am going to strip the 55 gallon tank and use the glass from it for this project. I have about 5 empty tanks of varying sizes that I can put all my fish in while I am working on it.

Since this is a mod, I think I put it in the correct section. there is nothing specifying that it has to be a computer-related mod. :D

I see your point but meh, the website's name is "Computer Forums" haha

One of my favorite fish. You better read up on them though. Discus are pretty tough to keep healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom