Difficulties overclocking i7 930 CPU with Gigabyte X58 UD3R Mobo

Jackrs113

Solid State Member
So I recently completed a PC Build (my very first) and I was very pleased with the results . I'm running a i7 930, with a Gigabyte X58 UD3R, 6gb of gskils DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). However I have run into a problem. I bought the i7 with the intention of overclocking it but the system continued to fail to post above 2.95 GHz with all settings standard except BCLK frequency , EIST, and C1E turned off. Doing a further check on the system I found the BIOS temp reading for the CPU to be at 90*C while Furmark had the system reading at 45*C. It seems that the problem resides in the Mobo (based on the BIOS temp reading) though I am clueless as to what the problem might be. I am currently in contact with Gigabyte to determine the problem and a solution, however their customer support is absolute trash and has been a real pain to deal with. Has anyone on here experience this issue or something similar? help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other info let me know and I will happily provide it.

have you turned down your RAM's multiplier? i made the mistake of not doing that at first which caused the very same problem

yea unfortunately it did not seem to matter. I tried various combinations unfortunetly nothing seemed to work. All I managed to get was an increase to 2.95 GHz, but anything higher failed to post.

You should be able to overclock straight away to more than 4Ghz without any issues at all. If you can't then you need to learn a bit more about your motherboards BIOS and what it's features do.

Make sure you have control of the advanced settings and disable anything you don't need, like all the auto-overclocking features. Manually set the vCore to 1.2V, BCLK to 133, RAM to X12 for 1600Mhz. You'll notice ideal values next to the actual values so use these ideals as a start.

And use Real Temp to monitor temps.

I have the same processor but i have the ASUS p6x58d-e and i have over clocked mine to 3.6Ghz air cooled. I cant get know higher because it will get above 65C at full load.

Back
Top Bottom