Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Overclocking | Cooling | Modding
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Cooling problem

So, last night, as an early Xmas present to myself I bought and installed a new ASUS hd 7850 2gb video card video rendering beast. It's putting out quite a lot of heat, even when idle and my CPU's stock heatsink isn't quite able to keep up, it's idling at 55c instead of 35, and under load, it heats up to 100c. I know I need a new heat sink, but what do I choose? Air or liquid? Which will be most effective at removing heat, yet still remain quiet? Oh and fit into a mid tower case?

Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Cooling problem

High CFM fans for the case will sure help.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
In Runtime

I've got a 110 cfm 200mm side fan, 3 75cfm 120mm fans and a 50cfm 80mm fan, I've got no other place to put fans in my case. Maybe it's the direction I have them blowing. Or that in combination with the fact that my case looks like a rats nest without cable management.

I actually went out an picked up a corsair h80. So I'll let you know if that helps at all after I put it later, or tomorrow if I'm feeling too lazy to pull everything out tonight.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
In Runtime

Here's a photo of my rat's nest.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Wizard of Wires

Dude! No self respecting rat would live in that. Just messing with you.
But you could seriously do with some cable straps and a little time. Looks like you got the front intake blocked. And with that hotrod vid card you need to have good airflow.
Air should come in the front and go out the back.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
In Runtime

So i got off my butt and installed the thing, works great, i'm not even hitting 30c when idle and only got it up to 42 playing the latest need for speed on highest settings for a half hour. I had to lose my 200mm fan since it wouldn't fit with the new rad in the way, so my graphics card may be getting warmer. I'm looking at moding my case so i can at least squeeze a 120mm fan in to cool the GPU.
The h80's directions said to use the fans as intakes on the case/rad, is it okay to turn my top front fan around and use it as exhaust?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortb View Post

Here's a photo of my rat's nest.
Thats a nice ... er mess cable management will help to improve air flow (and look nice), most case fan configurations are basically (in lower front - out top back) but there are many variations so experiment to find the best for your system

Core i7 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Corsair Series CX750w, Intel 320 Series SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Blu Ray/DVD, Black Night Case, Saitek & Razer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, ZA Antivirus + Firewall
*= WildCat =* is offline   Reply With Quote