Asus Rampage Extreme

It'd be nice if I could actually get the memory, the supplier hasn't received it from their supplier yet :(

I also need to mod a TRUE back plate because the RE has an IC smack in the middle of the socket area on the backside of the board, it won't be flying this weekend

Update: Ram turned to turd, no supply, looking at alternatives, will use Kingston 1333MHz for now (already have 2*1GB sticks sitting doing nothing)

Main issue resolved, cpu cooler.

Asus in their wisdom mounted a Samsung IC directly in the centre of the reverse side of the cpu socket (see pic)

samsungicy.jpg

To get around this a modified back plate for my TRUE is required, I managed to aquire a spare one so my original stays intact, next up (project for this weekend) is to cut the centre out of the back plate.

I've also managed to secure an E8500 (second hand) that will do 4GHz on 1.25V so all I really need now is a psu and graphics card and I have another pc.

I knew it was time to upgrade the 9800GTX in my main PC

lmao

Will keep updating as it progresses

:)

You are doing a nice job, I wish I had the money to do that lol. Im jealous =]

Tell my Mrs that, she seems to think we don't have enough money and I spend too much, lol

I'm going without beer for a month as a sacrifice to get the ram, that's going to be hard.

rofl

Tell my Mrs that, she seems to think we don't have enough money and I spend too much, lol

I'm going without beer for a month as a sacrifice to get the ram, that's going to be hard.

rofl

LMAO. That just means no one can bit** at you for titling a thread "drinking and playing with my BIOS" for a month. BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Update: I managed to fry the NB & SB, lmao

Asus are replacing the board though, much to my relief.

Ended up getting the Corsair CMG4GX3M2A2000C8 memory I linked earlier in the thread, just waiting for the replacement board to arrive back.

:D

EDIT:

Not so good, I may have a dud psu as I think I just fried the NB of the replacement board :(

Will try a different psu and pray.

You won't regret it, after a couple of burn outs on a "replacement board" (read Asus repaired) they finally gave me a new one (after it took out my E8500 too btw which the nice Intel people replaced) and screwed up my Thermaltake Toughpower 750W psu (which the nice people at Thermaltake replaced)

Now it's running sweet in an open bench environment, love the toggles and stuff, it's a top board for sure.

Back
Top Bottom