AMD FX8150 Socket V Core Temps

TJ07

Beta member
Hi there, I am hoping that someone can provide me with some help.
I have recently built a new PC using an ASUS M5A97 Pro motherboard coupled with an AMD FX8150 processer and I have also installed an Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 cooler using Arctic Cooling MX2 paste (I also have 3 case fans installed for cooling). My issue is that the Motherboard Socket temperature seems rather high (around 40 degrees on idle) whereas my core temps sit at around 20 at idle.
Under a Prime 95 stress test the socket temp rises to 65 & over (after about 8-10 minutes therefore I have to stop the tests as that is currently the "Alarm Setting" temp on the Mobo) although the core temps are only sitting around 40-42 degrees.
I have used various temp monitor programs (HW Monitor, AI Suite 2, and the Bios.) to check the temp and all seem to say the same thing.
The temperature limit for the chip is I believe around 61-65 Degrees and I am unsure as to whether the socket temperature is what I should class as the CPU temp or if I can go by the core temp?
The temp of the actual sits around 29.
I have tried reinstalling the heatsink to check that the seating is correct but that made no difference to the issue.
I had been hoping to do a little overclocking with the chip (something new to me) but with that socket temp I am very wary. :ermm:
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
im not sure what temps your talking about here? what do you mean by socket temp and core temp?

do you mean motherboard temp when you say socket temp and cpu temp by core temp?

Have you used to much paste?

im not sure what temps your talking about here? what do you mean by socket temp and core temp?

do you mean motherboard temp when you say socket temp and cpu temp by core temp?

Have you used to much paste?
Hi, definitely not too much paste.
The temps are showing in "HW Monitor" as 'CPU temp' which I believe refers to the CPU socket temp, and the 'Core Temps' are the CPU core temps (all eight are listed). The Motherboard temps are perfect about 29 at idle.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer... sorry! :eek:

I have today tried a little experiment of attaching an evercool hard drive fan to the back area of the motherboard where the CPU back plate sits. This has lowered the 'Socket Temp' by 3-5 degrees which helps a little.

aah i see lol.
It seems like you may have to get an aftermarket cooler. it seems strange that AMD say the safe top temp is 65c?
my I5 is normally around 37c idle with standard cooler an when overclocked to 3.8ghz at full load rises to 86c. An i know they'll top by over 10c at full load with a cooler (hyper212evo on its way :) )

Back
Top Bottom