XP -> Vista -> XP

DCM

Solid State Member
Alright, my PC is XP while my laptop is Vista.

What I want is to set-up my little network between both systems (which I have done, same network group), along with a username/password so that when I go from XP to Vista, I have to log-in, and from Vista to XP, same thing.

So far, the best I got was the network groups correct, and after changing the Everyone usergroup on Vista to Allow all (read/change/edit etc.), I can do anything via network to each system.

But, that still allows others to access it (from the house) from their computer, should they set themselves onto my network yes? That is why I want a user/pass. Is this possible?

I couldn't find anything to my extent when I did searches like vista to xp network user pass - things of that. Anyone know where I should look?

Hmm...

You want users to need a password to access your files, but you set 'everyone' to allow?

That's the problem. You need to take off the everyone and add in only the user accounts you want to use.

Yeah but how do I add an account from another computer. (Which I assume you can't?).

And when I didn't have it set to everyone, I couldn't delete or move files. Just read them.

Ok something like this:
Each PC needs a user account that has a password

PC 1 - User account 1 w/password
PC 2 - User account 2 w/password
PC 3 - User account 3 w/password

Then give then, say on PC 1, give User account 1 full rights. Then when you connect from PC 2 or PC 3 it should ask you for a password. Enter the password of User account 1. That should do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom