XP Network Setup Wizard Problems

Lawmanxxx

Solid State Member
Hello All! I'm new to this forum, so I'll try to be brief...
I recently bought a new computer and have attempted to network it with my old one in my daughter's room. I ran the ADSL modem to the top NIC on my new computer, from the bottom NIC to a 5 port ethernet hub, and from the hub to the network card on my old 'puter. At this point, I ran the Xp Network Setup Wizard. I have been told that this is not the ideal way to set up a home network, but it works. Problem is, everytime I reboot my new computer, I lose my internet signal and have to release and renew my IP using Command Prompt. Every time. A royal pain in the butt, since if I have no internet signal, neither does my daughter. Also, I cannot run any third party Firewall programs since, as soon as I install and activate one, it goes crazy detecting my old computer as a hijacking attempt. I do, however, use the XP firewall (for what it's worth) and have eliminated it as a source of the interruption.
A friend informed me that my network should be cabled like this: ADSL modem to hub, hub to each computer's NIC. So, I re-cabled the set up and ran the XP Wizard again but could not get it to work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the network cards, borrowed a D-Link DI-704P Router (wouldn't work in ANY configuration), and even did a System Restore, all without any results. It will only work in the original set up. It's as if once you've run the Wizard, all settings are set it stone.

Has anyone else had a similar problem like this?
Can anyone suggest a way to fix this problem?
I don't really want to reformat both computers if i don't have to.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Here are my new rig's stats:
AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton (2083Mhz) CPU
Asus A7N8X2.0 Deluxe MoBo
512 Mb DDR RAM
Maxtor 80 Gb HD
NVIDIA GeForce4 FX5200 Vid Card

there is nothing wring witht he way you have set up your network originally. it just means the new computer has to be on for the old one to access the internet.

can you define "lost my internet signal" please

Back
Top Bottom