I.P: 10.0.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.138

PC2:
I.P: 10.0.0.7
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.138

All on the Workgroup 'Home.

PC2 Can see PC1 No problems and they both can ping each other. Only problem is,PC1 Cant see any pc's in the workgroup at all so i cant share printers and such.

Any idea's?

(Filesharing and Printer sharing is already on).

What OS on each computer? It does matter.

If both are XP, make sure that the files and folders have security AND sharing rights on whatever files/folders you are sharing. The easiest way is to add Everyone on both security and sharing.

If one is Vista, make sure the guest account is enabled. This sometimes causes a problem.

It's XP.

One computer can see the other computer oin network neighbourhood and access all the other computers file and such.Though the other once cant see any computer at all in network neighbourhood.

Instead of Network Neighborhood, trying browsing to the other computer by IP address. START > RUN > type in //{ip address of other computer}. See if that lets you see the files.

Also make sure the admin password on the one that cant be accessed is blank. Thats worked for me before. And strangely enough once I was using a crossover cable to connect the 2 pc's and it wouldn't work, so i put one of these little cheapo 8 port switches to link the 2 instead and then it worked.

Best thing in my opinion is to use (if you have one) like the dsl router or a switch that has dhcp so that it assigns IP's automatically and then that way you just switch sharing on and ur done :)

Which version of XP? If it's Home version, then you'll have to install this special sharing app (forgot what it's called) on the other PC in order for it to play nice with XP Home. XP Pro doesn't have this limitation.

Also make sure the admin password on the one that cant be accessed is blank. Thats worked for me before. And strangely enough once I was using a crossover cable to connect the 2 pc's and it wouldn't work, so i put one of these little cheapo 8 port switches to link the 2 instead and then it worked.

Best thing in my opinion is to use (if you have one) like the dsl router or a switch that has dhcp so that it assigns IP's automatically and then that way you just switch sharing on and ur done :)

I'm considering that that is already done. If you look at the gateway its the same IP (Same gateway). A router should already be doing what the switch is... if its only two PCs you don't really even need a switch. Just grab a router and connect the two PCs to the router.

Check list

Make sure all computers have the same workgroup name

Disable “Simple File Sharing” Control panel > Folder Options (This is for XP and Vista only)
Folderoptions.jpg

Do this on all machines you want to share files from.
From here share the files you want for now just use “everybody” as far as permissions. Also adjust permissions as needed for “Everyone” (Full Control, Change, Read)

Note about users and permissions: I'm not a big fan about using “Everyone” this means that anyone on your LAN can gain access to the shares they would still need your workgroup but that is easy enough. Sounds like this is for home use so no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom