WOL (Wake-on-LAN) Troubleshoot

aphotictwil

Beta member
Currently I'm trying to setup my computer to make WOL work
both on WiFi and remotely.
Right now though,
for some reason I can not even get it to work on WiFi.

Here are my computer specs:
Motherboard: Intel D915GAV
NIC (Network Interface Card): D-Link DGE-530T

I'm pretty sure (definitely on the NIC) that they are both WOL compliant.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (magicpacket test succeeded? - see below)

I setup my BIOS to enable wakeup on PME (only option I had)

After everything was set,
I tested the WOL with: http://magicpacket.free.fr/
and I was able to successfully receive magicpacket (only when my computer is fully on and functional)
(I think I was able to succeed in receiving magicpacket in "sleep." As I sent the packets during "sleep" mode, I only saw that I receive them after I click to "unsleep.") - Don't know if that counts.

I'm accessing the WOL capabilities through my iPhone app iNet WOL.
The information that I entered are all correct
(even tried an online site to access WOL, yet also faiiled)
confirmed with ipconfig/all

My only question is why isn't my WOL working now?
I'm pretty sure I configured everything correctly yet I'm not able to get it to work.
It is really frustrating.
Please help me with this problem.

Not much help but I have trouble all the time with WOL. I have never had much success using it.

Have you tried just using cables and not wifi? Some routers can be a bit funny about delivering magic packets - I've found this tends to be a common cause when everything seems like it should work but never does.

Do I also have to have the compatible router for WOL to work on LAN?
I know the router has to be compliant with WOL for remote internet access but not sure if it also applies to LAN.

My computer is connected to the internet by a Ethernet Cable.

Such a complicated issue...

My computer is connected to the internet by a Ethernet Cable.
I meant if you directly plug a laptop into the router and then send the magic packet, does it make any difference?

It *shouldn't* also apply to a normal LAN, but in my experience it sometimes does.

i think You might need to configure the BIOS to reserve power to the NIC card during power off. If the NIC card has no power at system off, then i dont think the WoL will work.

Well I know that SOME power must be reserved for the NIC card to receive the signals but the problem is that I'm not sure how to fully enable it.
(I feel like the problem is with my motherboard and BIOS but I checked the mother board manual and it said that it'll work "supposedly")

I'll continue to test the WOL with multiple WOL "configuring software."
Hopefully it'll work one day..

Back
Top Bottom