wiring

this_guy

Solid State Member
I have an outlet that is only getting 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps which it is setup to get. Im sure it is the cable and one or more of the wires has something wrong with it because Cat 5e cable running Gig uses all 4 pairs of wires so if a wire has something wrong with it, it will only run at 100Mb. What I want to know is, does anyone know I could easily test to see what wire in the cable could be causing the trouble? I have a toner but that wont do me any good if im only testing 1 of the wires. Any suggestions?

Can you not just swap the cable and see what happens? What length are your cables?
Also remember that file transfers will never run at full wire speed because (a) wire speed does not account for overhead -- even TCP/IP has overhead (b) file management overhead (c) security overhead (d) file transfer protocol overhead (e) file system performance (f) the network itself will rarely run at full wire speed.

Are all the devices that are linked up able to send/receive 1Gbps transmissions? If not, then it will run at a speed that all devices can manage.

Back
Top Bottom