Wireless or wired networking of 2 laptops

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I should know the answer to this one but being new to W7, I thought I'd ask.
Lappy 1 is running vista home premium
Lappy 2 is running W7 home premium

What I'd like to do for now is connect the two together over the wireless G they both have and share the internet on the w7 rig with the vista rig. I get my internet connection over a Clear 4G WiMax usb device. Also I'd like to share the external HD on the w7 rig with the vista rig.

Reason behind all this is I design skins for my website and having both of them able to see the website would give me 2 differet sized screens running 2 different resolutions. Along with the fact that all of my templates and graphics goodies are on the external drive.

One thing you could try for sharing the HD is to enable "Homegroup sharing" on your computers through network/internet.

Homegroup is only a Windows 7 thing, a Vista machine can't connect to a Homegroup.

There are a couple of ways you can share the USB cellular internet connection. First, you can buy a router that will accept your usb cellular device and then you can connect both machines to the router wirelessly. The Cradlepoint CTR35 Portable Router is such a router but you would need to check to make sure your usb device is compatible with it.

A cheaper way to share the internet connection between those 2 computers would be to install the Connectify software on the Win 7 machine which will let your Win 7 machine act as a wifi hotspot and allow sharing of it's internet connection with other computers via wifi.

Once you have a network established by either method above, you should then be able to share your external HDD over the network.

ARG!!!
I'm just gonna get a hardwire router and be done with it.
I don't understand, why the "ARG!!!"?

With a hardwired router you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which means you will need to have laptop 1 on and connected to the internet in order for laptop 2 to have internet access. No real advantage here over the Connectify software I mentioned above but requires the use of a router and cabling.

Yeah you're right. I had the ad hoc working but when I log off the connection from the slave laptop win7 dumps the ad hoc connection info. You have to start over and win7 ad hoc is a pain. I just want to have the security of a closed system (hardwire).

Back
Top Bottom