Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
AOD
In Runtime

Default Wireless slowdown when gaming.

I've got a Netgear DG834G Wireless Modem/Router(think that the model I'll check later :P) and WG311v3 PCi card. I've always noticed that speed at which I am connected to the router drops quite significantly during gaming. This hasn't been a real problem so far but now it's starting to be problematic.
It drops from 54mbps to 24mpbs and even lower then kinda hovers there going up and down a bit. In Guild Wars I can't even connect now, I had the problem before without being able to connect. Just started working again for some reason though. I have been messing around with the aerials and stuff today to try and get the best signal don't really see how that could of affected it that much though. I'm trying some random things now see if I can get anything to work. I am taking a stab in the woods and saying that it's because my Gfx card heats up and infers with my card. Though it's got a empty slot of space between each.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Wireless slowdown when gaming.

Try some different channels on the router, there could be interference somewhere. Wireless isnt really the best option for gaming, so try and use a wired connection if you can.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
AOD
In Runtime

Yeah it aint the best but I am still able to play most FPS's pretty well with ocasionally lag spikes, just this game for some reason doesn't want to work anymore.. X.x The game that doesn't connect is Guild Wars. Was working fine yesterday but today kablamo. Had the problem before and a reinstall seemed to fix it but that might have just been a coindence with something else I did. I'll try some dif channels but seeing it was working yesterday with all same settings I don't know what to do. :O
I got it working now a winsock reset fixed it.
But now I'm still wondering why speed lowers when gaming? Not a real problem but I would like to know anyway.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Try some different channels on the router, there could be interference somewhere. Wireless isnt really the best option for gaming, so try and use a wired connection if you can.

its not the best but I was getting DSL speeds of my wifi in my house.I had a ping rate of like 35 in HALO when I played it!
2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

i dont think gaming actually affects ur wireless speed. like i dont think once ur comp is gaming it slows down. for btr signal u shud try a usb adapter instead.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
AOD
In Runtime

Hmm, what would cause it to only slow down when I game then? I'll probably get a usb adapter seeing I need one for my laptop anyway. Got pretty bad this morning nearly lost connection when I was gaming. D: