Wireless router questions?

kbphoto615

Beta member
First off, hey there. I'm new here, my name is KB. I have a Docis 3.0 Modem, 50mbps Comcast Internet Package, Netgear N150 WNR-1000, Intel Centrino N6250 wireless card inside my laptop.

Lately all I have had is a 20mbps Internet package from Comcast, I recently upgraded to 50mbps, using a docis 3.0 modem and a netgearn150 WNR-1000. Now theoretically this router should handle this new 50mbps internet speed, but it's not for some reason. On my wireless laptop im reading at about 18mbps, from the modem directly im up to 54mbps, so I know I'm getting the speeds but the router just isnt putting them out on wireless for some reason. Also Comcast is being weird about it and saying it's "up to 50mbps" so they're basically claiming no support for the issue.

I've been told by a comcast rep on the phone that it's because I have too many devices and I need to buy a dual band router for more range and power? I was under the impression dual band routers just provided longer range and not really any more power. My question is, is this a setting issue or a router issue? I have no problem spending some extra cash on a new router as long as it's going to get me closer to the actual speeds I'm paying for.

I can provide more information if need be, just let me know and thanks in advance guys!

Wireless PC: Dell Studio XPS 1645 - Wireless b/g/n card, supports up to gigabit connection, already double checked on the dell.com site, only pulling 18.53mbps on most speedtests.

Desktop PC: Hardwired to router, pulls 50mbps no problem? this makes me think it's a setting or a wireless issue with the router.

Netgear N150 WNR-1000 Router -to- Docis 3.0 Modem

Devices connected to router:
Desktop PC
Network Printer
Gigabit Switch

Devices connected to Dynex Gigabit Switch:

Xbox360
Sony Bravia
WD My book live storage

I have under Network Adapters on my PC:

Broadcom (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Intel Centrino Advanced N-6250 AGN

Intel Centrino WiMax 6250

Microsoft Viritual WiFi Miniport Adapter

I don't know if I need a new router, or if the router settings are off. I'f im in the wrong place I apologize. Just looking for any and all help! Thanks guys. :)

How far away is the laptop from the router? You should get a wifi analyzer such as WifiSleuth and see if there are other networks using the same channel and broadcasting loud. From there login to your router by either going to 192.168.0.1 OR 192.168.1.1 (Netgear usual). Change the broadcast channel on your router to a quieter channel.

How far away is the laptop from the router? You should get a wifi analyzer such as WifiSleuth and see if there are other networks using the same channel and broadcasting loud. From there login to your router by either going to 192.168.0.1 OR 192.168.1.1 (Netgear usual). Change the broadcast channel on your router to a quieter channel.

Not that far at all. The router is in the living room-a wall in between- and the laptop in my bedroom. 20-25ft. max. And the walls here aren't thick it's a 70+ yr old house.

Downloading WIfIslueth now. Will edit post with results from the switch in channels. Right now I'm set to auto in Channels on Router Settings.

EDIT:

I cannot seem to get WiFislueth, is there any alternative program to try? Thanks in advance.

I have a question. Is changing from a Wireless G router to a Wireless N router going to make much of a difference speedwise, and are the time capsules wireless N routers?

In all honesty, unless your transferring data on a LAN, you won't see any difference between G and N speed wise. G operates up to 54 mbps, and most data connections (Cable, DSL, etc) tend to be between 3 and 20 mbps, so you don't get close to utilizing the bandwidth available.

Back
Top Bottom